PDA

View Full Version : Propagation tank design opinions

masterswimmer
02/06/2005, 11:59 PM
I'm thinking about starting a frag/prop tank. My thoughts are that since it will be BB I can seriously sacrifice height. I don't see the need for anything taller than 12" - 15". Any thoughts on this?

This tank is not for starting a business. Just for trading frags with other reefers. Therefore, I'm not looking for anything massive. Would a tank 24" x 18" x 12" (L x W x H) work?

Russ

fish100
02/07/2005, 05:58 AM
What will you use for circulation, and keeping the water clean? Will it be part of the display system? Don't you love when you ask a question, and get three back? :p

Personally, I'd want the most bang and go 2' X 2' X 18 inches probably (easier to fit powerheads probably, but, I haven't looked into it). Certainly more water can't be bad compared to everything else.

redawg
02/07/2005, 07:16 AM
i just hooked up a 20 long to my system 2 days ago for this same reason.

masterswimmer
02/07/2005, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by fish100
What will you use for circulation, and keeping the water clean? Will it be part of the display system? Don't you love when you ask a question, and get three back? :p

Personally, I'd want the most bang and go 2' X 2' X 18 inches probably (easier to fit powerheads probably, but, I haven't looked into it). Certainly more water can't be bad compared to everything else.

Would not be part of the display system. I'd be setting up a separate tank, sump & fuge. Circulation would be a Mag 9.5 return with either a SCWD on a closed loop or 1/2" sea swirl. Probably an ETSS Reef Devil.

I do agree about more water (solution is always dilution) but do I really need the depth? It isn't a display. Just a prop/frag tank.

Thanks for the input,
Russ

JessB
02/07/2005, 02:49 PM
You should be fine with that height, as it easy to asdjust the light height (12" )...
Have fun....

masterswimmer
02/07/2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by JessB
You should be fine with that height, as it easy to asdjust the light height (12" )...
Have fun....

Thanks for the :thumbsup: Jess. I noticed your signature. Do you have any pix of your prop tanks & setup?

Russ