PDA

View Full Version : What do you want to learn?(at meetings)

reewik
02/06/2005, 10:44 PM
Does anyone want to discuss a specific item at this next meeting? If so please let me know of any topics you would like to discuss.

For now the plan is to have AC give us a tour of the store and have a Q/A session with them. We will also be demonstrating the fragging process of some corals. The frags will be taken home by paid members of the club if they wish too.

If you are new or an old salt there is always lots to discuss and learn.

Please post what you want to learn or just want more information about.

c_stowers
02/07/2005, 04:28 PM
These are some of the things that I would like to learn more about.

1. Fragging corals. Specifically how to cut and fix them to new rocks.

2. Reef Chemistry. How much fluctation in alkalinity, calcium, ect. is safe, and what is not acceptable.

3. Reef flow/ wavemakers. How do you tell if you have enough flow, or too much flow. What does moderate flow mean. I am always confused when a supplier list a coral as low, moderate, or high flow. Also, how beneficial is alternating flow.

fishdoc11
02/07/2005, 04:43 PM
IMO fragging stony corals would be enough for this meeting. I would be happy to assist/do a demonstration. Flow and chemistry are two good ones also. I allready gave a chemistry talk at the meeting at my house but would be happy to give another:) I would also be happy to host another meeting at my house sometime in the not too distant future. If anyone wants a talk on flow I could do that instead/also. I am far from "super qualified" and I'm sure many others in the club could give talks on these subjects as well or better than me. I am just offering if it would help:)
Chris

c_stowers
02/07/2005, 09:11 PM
I agree that fragging is enough for the next meeting. Those are just things that I would like to learn about in the future. I am very interested in the reef chemistry, being that I am a Chemical Engineer. So, if anyone would ever like to discuss reef chemistry, I am always up for it.

fishdoc11
02/07/2005, 11:09 PM
If your a chemical engineer I'm sure you can teach us a few things:) You might also check out Randy Holmes Farley's Reef Chemistry forum out here on RC. He has also written a great series of articles in Reefkeeping Magazine on RC and at the Advanced Online Reef Aquarist website.
Chris

waynesworld
02/08/2005, 09:23 AM
I would like to learn how to frag some of the basic soft stuff for us real novices

Angela Short
02/08/2005, 09:50 AM
I agree that fraggin and just Q/A at the critters store would take a lot of time. This is my first meet and I am not sure how long they last but I am sure when you get that many people together just one or two questions from each will take awhile. I am also interested in soft fraggin.