PDA

View Full Version : firewire questions

rhwimmers
12/21/2001, 10:55 AM
Im wondering if I get a PCI firewire card...the main reason would be for my JVC dv digital camcorder, what is a good buy-brand with some decent software ( just the basic video editing stuff..i can get better software elsewhere IF i need it..)
Im wondering if I could get an internal firewire hard drive and run it off the same card? are firewire HDD still really expensive? Im looking to replace my 54oorpm quantum-now maxtor 20 g hard drive beacuse BIOS is saying a failure may be iminent! Id like to get a 7200RPM, what is the Firewire speed?

I do a lot of video stuff demanding a lot of space (video converting-avi-VCD etc..) so i put about 2g of video on my pc then burn it and delete it..i think im abusing my current hard drive! Just looking to see what would be a good option for me
Thanks for any help
Ross

aragorn
12/21/2001, 11:00 AM
I haven't yet played w/ any of this Firewire stuff, but if I was doing alot of video editing I'd go w/ SCSI drives. I run an Adaptec 39160 w/ IBM U160 at 10K...wicked fast. FWIW

hartman
12/21/2001, 11:06 AM
rhwimmers,

I also have no firewire hands on but here is a firewire site http://www.1394ta.org/

Personally I like Matrox products and they have a few products of varied levels that use firewire.

http://www.matrox.com/videoweb/home.htm

But this is the whole package thing and all are about $700.00

Hartman

MORAY
12/21/2001, 05:27 PM
Creative technology has some sound cards that have firewire ports on them. I have on called Audigy platinum it was $200. You can find them at Best Buy or most computer places. You can also get info at www.creative.com .

ssheely220
12/21/2001, 11:38 PM
fire wire is decent. I used to capture with a regular video card and it wasent any good but i got firewire and its quick and good quality. I think we gave 350 for the chip and software

rhwimmers
12/22/2001, 10:30 AM
wow, those are all high prices! There was a thread going a while back for some for like 20 bucks w/software! I was thinking about getting the one from www.orangemicro.com i think it was around 50 or 60...

IFLY2HIGH
12/23/2001, 05:48 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Silly pc users, firewire is for macs!

Sorry guys, but firewire on the pc side hasn't been moving very fast or at least as I've seen. If you have access to a mac, you can use iMovie that comes already installed on the system.

Orange Micro is a reputable company. I don't have any of there products, but I hear on MACNN that there products are excellent. I want there firewire eyebot for my web cam.

As far as software, Adobe Premier, if it has firewire support, I believe it does now. Otherwise you might have to look into a complete package, but that's not to say there may be other software apps that do about the same.