PDA

View Full Version : Tank replacement

carpetride
02/06/2005, 05:57 PM
So I floated the idea of replacing my current 90 AGA non RR with something of similar size to my wife and I can live with the trade that she offered. My current tank has a lot of scratches along the bottom 5 inches from where I removed a crushed coral bed when I had African cichlids (not the brightest thing that I have ever done). Anyways the tank sits recessed into an alcove like area where a brick fireplace was to have eventually been built.

I want raise the tank to about 38-40", get RR, and enclose the entire area with book shelves along the sides. I've never owned an acrylic tank but have always liked the look. Those of you who have swapped from glass to acrylic any regrets? If I had to pick today, I would have James of Envision Acrylics do the build for me, I like what I have seen and haven't heard any negative feedback.

This is going to be a long term project, not something that will begin next week. So I guess you could say I'm in the planning stages.

Thanks for any advice or observations.

Trent H.

Rocky Mountain Reef
02/07/2005, 08:14 PM
My first reef was glass. My second tank was acrylic. It kept getting scratched, and I was happy to get it rid of it. My current tank is glass, and I'll never go back to acrylic. The advantages of acrylic (weight and clarity) just don't outweigh the disadvantages (costs, and it's just too easy to scratch.)

My opinion only. You will likely find others who feel exactly the opposite.