PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater guppies

fishstixs05
02/06/2005, 11:03 AM
I know that several sites offer saltwater guppies for cephalopods, but has anyone been able to maintain or breed these guys, it seems like they are probably a couple generations worth of toleration for some salt, and die relatively easy, but I would like your opinions
Ben

dbbga
02/09/2005, 06:23 AM
Well, I have kept octopus for several years now and yes i feed my octos saltwater guppies. Excuse me, but this subject just floors me. I was told years ago not to feed guppies, yada yada, now you see it everywere that this is ok. The fact is, guppies and mollies can go either way, freshwater or saltwater. I keep guppies and mollies in a seperapte freshwater tank and let them breed like mad, then when its feeding time i put them in the saltwater tank, never lost a one(only in feeding that is).
The reason i keep them in FW is that any parasites or whatever they have will die once put into saltwater. you can keep guppies and mollies in saltwater with no problem, but if your using them for a food source it is more economical to have a seperate tank for breeding, thus creating your own food source. Of course a plain diet of guppies is not recomended, but they make for a great treat and helps hone the hunting skills.