PDA

View Full Version : I think I found a porcelain crab

GSerg2
12/20/2001, 02:08 PM
He is about 3/4" across and I found him last night under a rock. He is kind of light brown or tan in color with small red dots all over his back and claws. I thought it was just another dangerous crab until I saw him start feeding. He had a set of sweepers that he worked back and forth bringing them into his mouth. He was filter feeding. Does this sound like a porcelain crab? Are there other filter-feeding crabs that he might be? I wonder if he is reef safe since he appears to be a filter feeder? I wish I had a pic of him to post. Anyone see anything like this? He must have come on my LR. I have some figi but mostly gulf rock.

mr294
12/20/2001, 02:19 PM
definitely sounds like a porcelain carb to me. they arent all that uncommon as hitchikers on LR, and they fortunately are completely reefsafe. good find!

GSerg2
12/20/2001, 05:33 PM
Are all porcelain crabs also anemone crabs? Or are only certain kinds of porcelain crabs considered anemone crabs?

Guy
12/20/2001, 07:56 PM
Only a few types of Porcelain crabs will harbor in an anemone. These are generally white-beige ie. anemone colored.