PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on AquaC Remora??

HouseDJSTL
02/02/2005, 07:46 PM
I am gonna be goin w/ the AquaC Remora Protien Skimmer w/ the maxijet 1200. I was curious to how loud it was?? It will be going in a bedroom tank. Also, has anyone ever used the surface skimmer attachment w/ it. I am gonna be using it and was curious to peoples experiences w/ it.

Thanks

-Jeremy

apl111
02/02/2005, 08:09 PM
I use it. It does make more noise at first but after a couple of weeks it gets quieter. If you are a light sleeper it may bug you, but maybe not. I used the surface skimmer but got rid of it in a 55 it takes up alot of space. On my skimmer I removed the MJ and put in an Aquaclear 802 pump 400gph. It works like a champ other than cleaning the collection cup every day there is no need to play around with it. Every month or 2 I remove the skimmer from the tank and run vinegar through it to clean out the gunk. It is an awesome HOB skimmer.

vince R
02/02/2005, 08:26 PM
I agree with apl111. I am very happy with mine. I don't have the skimmer box. When I bought mine they didnt have such a thing. Mine worked great so I never got the attachment. I think you will be pleased with this skimmer.

Stevan
02/02/2005, 09:30 PM
I'm less then happy with mine. It took 2 weeks to even start skimming. Even then it is inconsistant in it production of skimmate...it starts and stops producing daily. The neck needs to be cleaned with a toothbrush to begin producing again. Even w/the MJ1200 I think its underpowered.

Mekong
02/02/2005, 09:41 PM
I have a remora pro w/ mag7 and a remora with mj1200.

The pro is GREAT, with the mag3 it was caked in sludge in about a week, with the mag7 its caked in 2-4 days.

The remora w/ mj1200 on the other hand doesnt skimm much at all. This might be becuase all thats in the 20g tank are some small occleris clowns. I think it needs a mag3 to skim propperly

I think the pre-skimmer is needed or some form of surface skimming is needed. My 20g tank gets icky with out a pre-skimmer and so does my dispaly.

Either way both of them are way to loud for the bed room IMO. I have a planted tank that makes no notticable noise in my room. I think the only way to shut the thing up is to put it in the sump.

I heard of people shoving foam in the output to quite it, but then you would have to clean it too often.

shred5
02/02/2005, 10:03 PM
I have owned the pro... If it is going in your 55 I would go with a pro... In my opinion they are medium on the loudness scale..... There are some mods you can do to make them quiter... They are a great skimmer tho....

Dave

Clownfishman101277
02/02/2005, 10:22 PM
I have the pro, and I don't have any problems with it, it works very good and always has skimmate in it every day, its the best money can buy..

I have the one with the MJ1200 and its just a world of difference from my junky skilter 250..

Nuhtty
02/02/2005, 11:21 PM
Ive owned remoras and they are very good skimmers.

There are ways to make them near silent.

I posted just a few days ago on how to quiet a remora. Try a search and see what you come up with. I got my remoras so quiet that the fans on my PCs were louder.

HouseDJSTL
02/02/2005, 11:23 PM
I can't seem to find that thread, can you help me out.

Thanks

-Jeremy

adickerson0
02/02/2005, 11:59 PM
Um...buy a timer. That way your skimmer is off while you are sleeping. Unless you have a lot of bio load I doubt you gain much from running a skimmer 24/7 rather then 8/7. Try it out both ways and see what works for your tank.

HouseDJSTL
02/03/2005, 12:01 AM
Thanks.

I didn't even think about that.

-Jeremy

masson
02/03/2005, 12:04 AM
Mine is very loud, i have the reg with the mj 1200. It started skimming the first night and sound the same. I have gone 2 weeks and it has not fully filled, Ive cleaned it and it still its hasnt worked rite. And it also seems very underpowered.

lagarz
02/03/2005, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by apl111
I use it. It does make more noise at first but after a couple of weeks it gets quieter. If you are a light sleeper it may bug you, but maybe not. I used the surface skimmer but got rid of it in a 55 it takes up alot of space. On my skimmer I removed the MJ and put in an Aquaclear 802 pump 400gph. It works like a champ other than cleaning the collection cup every day there is no need to play around with it. Every month or 2 I remove the skimmer from the tank and run vinegar through it to clean out the gunk. It is an awesome HOB skimmer.

I want to do this also, how did you get the 802's output to fit into the remora? Mine will not.

scottfarcuz
02/03/2005, 12:06 AM
If it is a sumpless tank I would run the skimmer at night. Oxygen can drop off fast when the lights go out.

HouseDJSTL
02/03/2005, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by scottfarcuz
If it is a sumpless tank I would run the skimmer at night. Oxygen can drop off fast when the lights go out.

Even if I have other filters on the tank??

-Jeremy

scottfarcuz
02/03/2005, 12:22 AM
If the other filters provide a lot of surface agitation you will probably be fine.

apl111
02/03/2005, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by lagarz
I want to do this also, how did you get the 802's output to fit into the remora? Mine will not.

Just go to home depot or the like. I got mine from work but if you go to HD it should work. Get yourself some tygon or flexible pvc tube big enough to go over the tube that comes with the skimmer. Put what came with the skimmmer onto the skimmer side. The bigger piece should go onto the 802 pump. Now slide the 2 tubes over each other. You may need to put a plastic clamp where the 2 tubes overlap each other.

shred5
02/03/2005, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by masson
Mine is very loud, i have the reg with the mj 1200. It started skimming the first night and sound the same. I have gone 2 weeks and it has not fully filled, Ive cleaned it and it still its hasnt worked rite. And it also seems very underpowered.

Some times there is just not enough organic waste in your tank.. I bought a new tunze skimmer which are suposed to be awsum.. Did the same thing... LoL .. But anyway there are times when I feed heavy or dont do water changes and the thing skimms like crazy...

Dave

TimBob
02/03/2005, 10:54 AM
I have had a Remora w/ MaxiJet 1200 in my 75G tank for 2 weeks now. For the first week the only bio-load in the tank was about 70lbs of live rock, 2 small Damsels and about a dozen blue leg hermits, I added 5 more fish last week (2 Ocellaris Clowns, Diamond Watchman Goby and 2 Firefish), some more hermits and about a dozen turbo snails, so the bio-load is still fairly light for a 75 gallon. I have pulled maybe 2 teaspoons of foul smelling greenish liquid from the collection cup in those 2 weeks.

I do not have the surface skimmer attachment, but I am considering purchasing one since I am developing a film on the top of my water.

As of last night I turned off my canister filter due to a problem I was seeing with cavitation which results in the massive release of micro-bubbles every couple of days, so I will see how the Remora does and post an update after about a week with only the skimmer and live rock for filtration.

I should have done more research instead of basing my filtration purchase on what a friend was doing 15 years ago to keep saltwater fish successfully. I would have never bought the canister filter if I had been reading this board before buying a tank.

Stevan
02/03/2005, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by TimBob
I have had a Remora w/ MaxiJet 1200 in my 75G tank for 2 weeks now. For the first week the only bio-load in the tank was about 70lbs of live rock, 2 small Damsels and about a dozen blue leg hermits, I added 5 more fish last week (2 Ocellaris Clowns, Diamond Watchman Goby and 2 Firefish), some more hermits and about a dozen turbo snails, so the bio-load is still fairly light for a 75 gallon. I have pulled maybe 2 teaspoons of foul smelling greenish liquid from the collection cup in those 2 weeks.

I do not have the surface skimmer attachment, but I am considering purchasing one since I am developing a film on the top of my water.

As of last night I turned off my canister filter due to a problem I was seeing with cavitation which results in the massive release of micro-bubbles every couple of days, so I will see how the Remora does and post an update after about a week with only the skimmer and live rock for filtration.

I should have done more research instead of basing my filtration purchase on what a friend was doing 15 years ago to keep saltwater fish successfully. I would have never bought the canister filter if I had been reading this board before buying a tank.

Canisters serve a purpose. You can run lot of carbon, PhosBan or other media thru it. Just dont use it for mechanical filtration (foam or filter pads etc.). And don't leave the media in it so long that it acts like a mechanical filter when it gets dirty.

dippin61
02/03/2005, 12:27 PM
Ive had mine (MJ1200) up and running for 4 days and it is already pulling nasty green junk out of the water. Ive heard I'll have a problem with the micro bubbles for a week or so. It DOES create tons of them.

The noise is minimal in my opinion, although it takes quite a bit to annoy me in the noise department since mine is in the living room and I have a big screen TV so I really dont hear it unless I'm up right next to it.

Green gunk is already starting to cake the tubes so a cleaning will be needed in a week or so. No more problems with scum on the surface of the water anymore either, although I do have flow agitating the surface.

All in all Im satisfied with it so far. We'll see what happens down the road.

clearingskies
02/03/2005, 12:52 PM
It is very well made IMO, easy to take care of and pulls a lot of bad stuff out of the water. The Remora does take a couple of weeks to settle in and become efficient. To make it quieter, sometimes you have to adjust the tilt of it against your tank. You'll find the adjustment that works best with a little experimenting. Mine runs quiet with the MJ 1200.