PDA

View Full Version : making a comeback

softbal4
02/02/2005, 12:45 PM
hello everyone,

it has been a while, but i am finally trying to get back into the hobby. I lost my 125 reef tank about 8 months ago when i had a fire in my place. needless to stay, it was not the only thing i lost, but it was probably one of the closest to my heart. now 8 months later, after several moves, i am getting ready to take the addiction back on. I can't wait to get back into the swing of things! i have purchased a couple of new tanks but am still needing some equipment. the tank which i am going to set up as a reef right now is only 75G. i hope to get my tank up and at least cycling while I shop around for the remainder of the equipment. right now i am in search of lights, so if anyone has a set of metal halides they are looking to get rid of please shot me a line. thanks jenny

:rollface:

beester15
02/02/2005, 01:03 PM
hey cuz,
I have the other set of PC's that you sold me. the 4 96 watter. let me know.
mike

jcigars
02/03/2005, 08:19 AM
Hi Jenny....glad to see your OK :)

liz3
02/03/2005, 11:43 PM
No halides, but let us know what else you need. Softies?

Any cousin of mike's is a friend of mine.

joekoug
02/03/2005, 11:51 PM
Sorry for your loss! Good to see that you haven't given up on this awesome hobby.
Joe

liz3
02/22/2005, 11:57 PM
It's been a while....did you find your lights? Do you still need anything?

softbal4
02/23/2005, 09:16 AM
thanks for all the nice hellos and pms. everything is coming along. i have yet to set the tank up. i have been collecting everything so that I can just get it all up and running. i currently have a 15 gallon nano up but the 75 is still a work in progress. if anyone has extra eqipment. pease drop me a line. I can't believe how much money i had i this hobby. wow!! i could have taken an awesome vacation. thanks again and hope to hear from you all soon. jenny

liz3
02/23/2005, 07:54 PM
Is the 75 RR?

softbal4
02/23/2005, 08:58 PM
no, that is the one drag. I somehow thought it was until I got it home. It is a really nice clarity plus acrylic , though after my last acrylic I said I would not buy another.

liz3
02/24/2005, 08:07 PM
I bought a used acrylic, and boy am I sorry. It kills me...all the scratches and "stars" in the front. What am I going to do, it's a 180 and I am not upgrading anytime soon.

All I have is HOB skimmers.

softbal4
02/24/2005, 09:10 PM
actually my last tank was acrylic and it was only a little tough to clean, but a credit card does the trick. as for the scratches, they have scratch kits and you can get most out. you have to be patient though. as for skimmers, I have a ev120 I have to have mike come and help plumb this thing though. I originally bought a 200RR but when I thought of the money in the tank I made it FW.

liz3
02/24/2005, 11:09 PM
The scratch kit I got was a lot of work for no progress....anyone want to recomend one I will be happy to try.

Well let me know when you are ready to stock.. I know I met you before at coral reef..so..like I said, I'd be happy to help.

beester15
02/25/2005, 08:41 AM
The skimmer will be fun to plumb. I don't know when I will be able to do it though. I am in Indianapolis right now and on march 11th I will be going to New Zealand for 2 weeks. Maybe when I come back then I could help you. BTW what are you using for a sump for the tank? If you are going to take your time (this time) and set up slowly I would consider a reefugium along with the rest of the filtering it will ease your stress later on. talk to you later
mike

jcigars
02/25/2005, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by liz3
The scratch kit I got was a lot of work for no progress....anyone want to recomend one I will be happy to try.

Well let me know when you are ready to stock.. I know I met you before at coral reef..so..like I said, I'd be happy to help.

Here is the one I have. It worked great :)

http://www.tenecor.com/images3/micromsh.jpg

Rod Buehler
02/25/2005, 10:06 AM
http://www.sisweb.com/micromesh/acrylic_plastic_hand_kits.htm

I really like the micro mesh for the tanks I really hate (acrylic).

liz3
02/25/2005, 07:11 PM
Can all of them be used while the tank is filled?

Rod Buehler
02/25/2005, 08:08 PM
I use the micro mesh under water. I attach it to the cleaning magnets in some case, and do the work from outside the tank.

jcigars
02/25/2005, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by liz3
Can all of them be used while the tank is filled?

The one I posted can :)

softbal4
02/26/2005, 02:07 PM
both the acrylic kits posted include the same as my kit. it works better in the water I thought. make sure you don't use the finishing liquid buffer stuff in the tank. be patient. use the sanding mech in the order they suggest, which is the course to the fine. it will look worse before getting better but it does work. and make sure you go a little bigger then the scratch so that it is even.

liz3
02/27/2005, 10:35 PM
Thanks softbal4, let us know when you are ready for frags. I did get a scratch kit in the beginning, I thought I got a lot out, until it was filled. Then I added more, by accidentally grabbing pieces of sand in the magnet wipers. It's such and overwhelming project, but I know eventually I will get around to it. I have had other things on my mind lately.

Let us know!