PDA

View Full Version : LR die off!

Jimsmowen
02/01/2005, 03:34 AM
All the live rock we have ever bought has NEVER smelt and i have never ever seen anything on it die... our LFS is like 2 mins down the road in the car and they always put it wrapped in paper and in heaps of water.... anyways... is this a good thing or bad thing?

And also is using a cycle starter (like in a bottle) good or bad?

thanx in advance

aLucidDream
02/01/2005, 03:41 AM
Well if it was curred LR in the LFS and is only about a 5 minute drive for you then it's most likely that you had very little die off. How long has it been in your tank now? The rock my just be good as is. If your not using the rock then to start the cycle, you can just throw in a cocktail shrimp from the local market. Let the level's raise then fail. And wait for someone else that can tell you more also.

You might want to also follow what I am about to do and get the 9 for $99 deal at www.ispf.com (http://www.ipsf.com)

TJcop
02/01/2005, 05:51 AM
If the rock is already cured at the LFS, the die-off in a 5 minute car ride will be minimal. You'll still have a small cycle in the new tank. Geesh...16lbs in a 6gal tank!...any room left? :)
As far as a cycle starter in a bottle, I don't like them. Just let Mother Nature do her thing and wait it out. Don't forget to do some small water changes and monitor your levels.

Jimsmowen
02/01/2005, 05:56 AM
yes, heaps of room :D unless i converted litres to galons wrong and kilograms to pounds wrong....

TJcop
02/01/2005, 06:00 AM
Hey, I just noticed that you're in Australia! Is your LFS the nearest beach? :D