PDA

View Full Version : New tank with cured LR

Nicholo
02/01/2005, 12:27 AM
Hey guys -- My new 20-long with 10g sump has saltwater in it finally. I will be adding the sand soon, along with several cups of LS from generous local reefers. I will also be adding chaeto in the fuge, and small amounts of cured LR (can't afford a lot right now). I know everyone says adding *anything* will cause at least a small cycle, but if everything I add in is already cured, even if it's only a small amount of LR, how much of a cycle should I really expect?

Thanks a lot for setting me straight on this stuff..., I've been reading so much about this, but just can't figure out if and how my tank will have a long cycle if I have LS, cured LR from the very beginning...

scottfarcuz
02/01/2005, 12:36 AM
If your getting the rock from a local source and it is cured you wont see much if any cycle. If you could possibly transport the rock in water I doubt you would have any unless it sees a big heat loss. Coraline doesnt like air exposeure either so I always try to keep mine in water if possible.

ReeferKeith
02/01/2005, 01:00 AM
I wouldn't sweat it as long as its stays submerged. I have gotten rock, from several different places heres locally, and have never had any sort of a spike. As long as you are sure the rock is cured you will be ok.

Nicholo
02/01/2005, 09:43 AM
Thanks a lot for the info guys. Anyone else have any opinions?

lonestar
02/01/2005, 12:06 PM
I got some good quality rock and my tank literall never cycled. I have a cleaning crew, percula and damsel and a sea hare and I never saw a spike of any kind at all. I put the fish in 3 days after I added the rock and sand.

The last tank I had took 30 days to cycle with LR???? It is just really weird to me that two tanks could be so different but I attribute it all to the good quality cured rock.