PDA

View Full Version : Substrate questions

BMink
01/31/2005, 11:44 PM
Okay let me give everyone the breakdown. I'm new at this and quite long winded so please bear with me if this gets long.

I started a 29gallon tank with LS from an established 7 year old healthy tank. I have about a 2 inch sand bed. This sand was the only thing in the tank for about a two weeks. I then picked up a Maxi-jet 1000 powerhead free from a friend who used it on a 55gallon tank. Anyway I just put 25 lbs of LR into my tank that I was told was not all the way cured and needed about another week. This info. came from a highly reputable LFS here in town. I also have two other friends that have this same rock with no problems what so ever (off topic I know, forgive me). Moving on. After putting my LR in the tank and starting up the powerhead I have noticed that the LS base gets moved around alot. The powerhead has created some large some not so large craters in my sandbed. I will deal with this as something that just happens if I have to but I really would like some advice for a solutution to these craters.

Also I should have mentioned this before but the LS I have is very very fine.

Is there anything I can do to stop this or at the very least limit it? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Entropy
01/31/2005, 11:47 PM
You have to wait for the sand to get heavy :D Seriously, the sand will collect bacteria growth and other critters that will make it stay in play better. It will never be totally settled, but it will stop moving from the current of a powerhead. Even though you used LS from another tank, it is still going to take a while for it to get back to the way it was. Also moving the powerhead around and putting a fan attachment to spread the water flow out may help.

BMink
02/01/2005, 12:41 AM
Entropy

Great name by the way. Not sure what it means but it sounds cool. Thank you for your advice. I have been looking at new powerheads lately and have seen alot of them with the fan attachment that you spoke of. I will try that as well as taking my time and letting it settle. Thanks again for your reply I appreciate it.