PDA

View Full Version : Problems with the new skimmer...

Flyflicker
01/31/2005, 11:23 PM
This is the new skimmer that I bought and setup. Two problems that I wanted to see if there was some advice for.

First, microbubbles. I heard that if you put some pantyhose on the skimmer outlet that it will help cut that down. Is that right? or is there something else that might help a little more?

Second, is the noise from the air intake. If I cover up the air intake everything is quiet. So is there something that I can add or take away that will help with the noise?
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/583/7890845_3.jpg

TJcop
02/01/2005, 06:24 AM
I assume that the skimmer is sitting in a sump? If so, you could put some baffles (small dividers that the bubbles have to float up in between) in your sump to reduce the bubbles. For the noise, you could fashion something on the end of the venturi to hold part of a cotton ball. I have a MRC-1 skimmer (which is awesome!) and it comes with a cotton ball "holder" to keep it quiet. I've since taken it off for increased air and I don't need to worry about noise (it's in the basement sump).
HTH!

Flyflicker
02/02/2005, 11:31 AM
I did that and it "doesn't" sound better... Thanks

TJcop
02/02/2005, 12:19 PM
Hmmm...In one of the other 4 threads that you asked the same question, someone else also suggested a cotton ball muffler and you said it works. Oh well....

BradL.
02/02/2005, 06:31 PM
A new skimmer needs to run a while than the microbubbles will go away.Carbon will help.