PDA

View Full Version : EV120 vs. CS6-1

jdevlan
01/31/2005, 11:21 PM
I am building a 55 gallon with a 20 gallon sump. Which skimmer is better suited? AquaC EV120 or the Euroreef CS6-1?

Entropy
01/31/2005, 11:52 PM
Either will work fine IMO, but the AquaC will probably fit easier if you are going to mount it in the sump. If you have the room then I think you will be happy with either. The Euroreef is supposedly much easier to setup and use out of the box, but I never had any issues with my EV150 (two years now and still pulling out the yucky stuff).

Ti
02/01/2005, 12:59 AM
Search this forum for the EV-120 b4 u decide.
It will make you think twice.

sublimaze41
02/01/2005, 09:01 AM
I have an EV-120 and could not be happier. Follow the pump suggestions per the developer and watch it shine. Many people that have trouble with the AQUA C use pumps other than that which is suggested for optimal performance.

fishox
02/01/2005, 06:04 PM
I had an EV120 that required constant tweaking to get skimmate. Around Christmas I switched for a ER CS8-2. The ER is so much better. I have not had to make a change since I set it in the sump. IME the ER is a hands down better skimmer. They do have a large footprint though so make sure you have room

Ti
02/02/2005, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by sublimaze41
I have an EV-120 and could not be happier. Follow the pump suggestions per the developer and watch it shine. Many people that have trouble with the AQUA C use pumps other than that which is suggested for optimal performance.
This is not a ture statement.
in fact many people like myself are using the recommended pumps.
I myself a mag 5, seems to be a popular combo with the 120.
I had oriiginally wanted to go dolphin, but the dolphin was SLIGHTLY larger and did not work for my application.
But as I said b4, search the threads about the 120 and you will see most of those posters are using recommended pumps.
I had an EV120 that required constant tweaking to get skimmate. Around Christmas I switched for a ER CS8-2. The ER is so much better. I have not had to make a change since I set it in the sump. IME the ER is a hands down better skimmer. They do have a large footprint though so make sure you have room
Agreed 100%

fishhawk
02/02/2005, 01:34 AM
I bought a 19 gallon wet/dry filter which I gutted and use as a sump. I barely have enough room to fit it in there, but remember that my sump is divided by a baffle appx at the 1/3 mark. I have a Euro Reef CS6-1....and I like it...I chose it, have not had a lick of problem with it. Have not had experience with other skimmers so Icant talk trash and I wouldn't.

sublimaze41
02/02/2005, 07:22 AM
I bought the AquaC after reading numerous reviews and the favor it holdswith Robert Fenner. I have had great luck with mine and love having it out of the sump. Granted I have an Iwaki pump driving it, but it works very well.

My Ev120 is rated for a 150 gallons. That is what it is on and if given the option again I would buy it.

jdevlan
02/02/2005, 08:55 AM
Thanks for all the replies. As always in the reefing world, a difference of opinion. That is a good thing by the way.

What if I add the ASM line to the mix? Either the G-1x or G-2. I could fit the G-3, but it would almost touch the bottom of my display tank and would take a lot of room in the sump.

By the way, how much extra room (besides the skimmer) in the skimmer chamber of my sump do I need? My 20 gallon sump is about 11 1/2" wide. Thus, the G-3, which is 11"x12", wouldn't have much room.

Thanks!

Avi
02/02/2005, 10:32 AM
I have the Aqua-C and find that it does need some tweaking IF I turn of the flow to it for some reason like target feedings. I wonder if any skimmer wouldn't need the same. If allowed to continue running, it never needs tweaking and constantly foams like crazy so I'm satisfied with mine. One feature of the Aqua-C that I like a lot is the overflow canister that they offer as an accessory. It's quite big and if I don't feel like doing maintenance for some reason like I'm not feeling well, or if I go away for a few days, there's no emergency and I can let the skimmer keep on sucking the junk out of the water with no concern. I called Euro-reef before I bought my skimmer to see if they offered that and they told me to drill the collection cup and make my own...No thanks...maybe they offer it now, that was a year or so ago.

Entropy
02/02/2005, 11:32 AM
There are a couple things I would be concerned with on a sump that small. The first one is, with the skimmer and all your other equipment in place with there be enough water volume left to handle evaporation while still keeping the return pump submerged? My sump has almost 20g in the return chamber to keep my Dolphin 1200 under water. The second is that the AquaC is very sensitive to water level. If your skimmer pump is in a chamber that has a water level that changes (due to evaporation for instance) you will never get it to work consistantly. I had this issue when I first set it up and the problem went away when I moved the skimmer pump to the main chamber that has a constant water level. I am not sure if the Euroreefs suffer from this same issue or not.

Avi
02/02/2005, 04:07 PM
my sump has two compartments that have the same water level, lowering equally with evaporation....How would I manage to keep the section where the pumps are located constant and not lower when there is evaporation?