PDA

View Full Version : Undissolved salt in new aquarium

deeze
01/31/2005, 11:00 PM
I'm finally filling my 70 gallon tank and my brother gave me some salt he had from about 2 years ago when he had a marine tank and about 5% of it will never dissolve. The salt was in a big sealed bag from Instant Ocean and looks very white and pure. It just keeps floating around in the tank. PH is good, temp is around 80 deg., and everything else seems ok. Any ideas on how to get it to dissolve or remove it?

Thanks,

aquaman67
01/31/2005, 11:03 PM
A powerhead to move it around will help. Or if you have one of those paint stirrer things that goes on a drill that has never been in paint would work.

If you have niether, get a wisk or spatual and stir the water vigorously by hand...

AquaDiva
01/31/2005, 11:10 PM
How long has it been in the tank?...Give it some time. The stuff is kinda old and it may never totally dissolve. Is there anything else in the tank besides water. If not, I would let it settle, (turn off all pumps, etc.) and siphon it out. :)

aquaman67
01/31/2005, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by AquaDiva
How long has it been in the tank?...Give it some time. The stuff is kinda old and it may never totally dissolve. Is there anything else in the tank besides water. If not, I would let it settle, (turn off all pumps, etc.) and siphon it out. :)

My IO salt is over two years old and it still dissolves...

Rodeo Clownfish
01/31/2005, 11:44 PM
When I first put salt in my tank two and a half months ago (Oceanic) some of it didn't disolve for several days, so I just caught the solid bits with a net and took them out before the rock arrived.