PDA

View Full Version : 40g internal filtration

deanos
01/31/2005, 10:54 PM
I just got a used 40g breeder tank with a built-in overflow compartment along the back. The compartment is separated into 3 chambers; 1st two have "overflow teeth" and the 3rd only has a return "hole". Also, the tank is not drilled. My question is, what do I need to get this tank up and running from a water movement/filtration point of view?
TIA

Dean

phil519
01/31/2005, 11:06 PM
[welcome]
A picture would help to understand just what exactly you are trying to do. You mention the tank isn't drilled but you also state that there is a built-in overflow? Sounds like you have a HOB overflow.

Regardless you'll want to invest in a skimmer and a sump and return pump to get going.

Good luck!

deanos
01/31/2005, 11:55 PM
Here's the best pic I could get (the tank is a mess). The compartments are siliconed to the inside back of the tank, definitely not HOB.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/62331Overflow.jpg

The left most chamber has the return hole near the top of the acrylic. Hope this helps. Thanks again!

Nuhtty
02/01/2005, 12:03 AM
Looks like this tank was meant to have the overflows and the HOB skimmer and heaters in the overflow area.

You can do one of two things.

You can place the heater, skimmer and a return pump in the overflow...not sur ehow much room you have there.

Or...you can drill the bottom (if it is not tempered glass) and set up a sump like a traditional built-in overflow

deanos
02/01/2005, 07:49 AM
Thanks Nuhtty. I'll check out both options.