PDA

View Full Version : I need the PERFECT FILTER for an AGGRESSIVE tank!!!!

HouseDJSTL
01/31/2005, 10:45 PM
I am gonna have a 55 gallon w/ some rock and just a few fish. Most likely a Huma Huma Trigger and some others.....

My only concern is filtration. I have an eheim 2224 and I was told that it would be bad, and it would give me high nitrates. So I am looking for the best filter. I really dont want a an over flow.

Thanks

-J

Gobydude777
01/31/2005, 10:53 PM
Get a strong HOB skimmer, Remora Pro would do the trick. If Nitrates get too high could throw on a HOB Reugium. One of those high-powered sand bed micron filter thingamajiggs that polish your water would be useful if you can swing it.

jeffb3t
01/31/2005, 10:54 PM
Your best bet would be to supplement you Eheim filter with a protein skimmer. A fish only tank can handle higher nitrates that a reef tank. If you are going with coral, then I would recommend a hang on refugium with some macro to help with your nitrates and phosphates.

HouseDJSTL
01/31/2005, 11:20 PM
What kind of hang on Refuguim's are out there, that are good for a 55??

Also, what are some good tank mates for a Humu Trigger??

Nuhtty
02/01/2005, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by HouseDJSTL
What kind of hang on Refuguim's are out there, that are good for a 55??

Also, what are some good tank mates for a Humu Trigger??

You dont need a fuge, IMO.

Good skimmer would be the key. I second the Remora or Remora Pro

You cant really fit more in a 55g if you are putting a humuhumu in there. They will fill that tank up by themselves.

HouseDJSTL
02/01/2005, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Nuhtty
You dont need a fuge, IMO.

Good skimmer would be the key. I second the Remora or Remora Pro

You cant really fit more in a 55g if you are putting a humuhumu in there. They will fill that tank up by themselves.

Thats what I was thinking, just wanted to get some other opinions.

Thanks

-J

HouseDJSTL
02/02/2005, 07:43 PM
Could I got w/ just two Whisper 60's (no media, just pads) and one HOT Magnum w/ Carbon only??

I dont want to have clean out my Eheim every 2 or 3 weeks.

Thanks

Jeremy

Nuhtty
02/02/2005, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by HouseDJSTL
Could I got w/ just two Whisper 60's (no media, just pads) and one HOT Magnum w/ Carbon only??

I dont want to have clean out my Eheim every 2 or 3 weeks.

Thanks

Jeremy

Why nto skip the 2 whispers, the HOT magnum and the eheim. You dont need any of those.

Live rock and skimmer...most people in this hobby get by just fine with these and they keep sensitive inverts/corals.

HouseDJSTL
02/02/2005, 11:36 PM
I have some wierd fetish when it comes to filters. I hate to see floating particles in the water, so I tend to "overfilter".....

I also really hate having a slimy surface in my tank.....

Also, I don't think I am gonna go w/ live rock, just some base rock for the time being. I was just wanting to use the filters I already have.

Keep the ideas flowing in....I'M ALL EARS!!!

Thanks

-Jeremy

merkin
02/02/2005, 11:45 PM
For a mate to the Humu Humu, there's any number of things you could get. If this were my tank, the list would look something like this:
-Humu Humu Trigger
-Dwarf Lion
-Lunar Wrasse
-Arc-eye Hawk

You have a lot of freedom as to what you can do, as long as it stays on the aggresive side. Good luck!

Dragonmaster
02/03/2005, 12:20 AM
I agree with you Nuhtty, the live rock and skimmer will do the job just fine. I would consider a PH for current!