PDA

View Full Version : New skimmer problems...

Flyflicker
01/31/2005, 10:41 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/583/7890845_3.jpg

This is the new skimmer that I bought and setup. Two problems that I wanted to see if there was some advice for.

First, microbubbles. I heard that if you put some pantyhose on the skimmer outlet that it will help cut that down. Is that right? or is there something else that might help a little more?

Second, is the noise from the air intake. If I cover up the air intake everything is quiet. So is there something that I can add or take away that will help with the noise?

jeffb3t
02/01/2005, 12:20 AM
One your first question, pantyhose might work but time is what is really needed. The skimmer needs to break in a bit and then the micro bubbles should stop. For the second question, try making a silencer out of a sock or filter cloth. Just whatever you do make sure it doesn't affect the performance of the skimmer.

bertoni
02/01/2005, 01:03 AM
Yes, give it some time to break in.

To make it more quiet, you can add a muffler to the air line. A container filled with filter floss should do the trick.

Flyflicker
02/01/2005, 01:10 AM
What is filter floss? And as far as a container... are you speaking about what was written before like a sock?

bertoni
02/01/2005, 01:37 AM
Well, if you put the end of the line into an "air filter", it should make the skimmer quieter. Filter floss is just a stringy plastic "foam". Any container with openings for air should do. Maybe an old pill bottle with some opening cut or drilled? The DIY forum will have much nicer ideas than I do.