PDA

View Full Version : sea urchin

parks
01/31/2005, 10:28 PM
I recently purchased a piece of rock with a urchin hitchhiking on it. It is mostly dark grey/black with white tips on the spines. It is pretty pointy but not like a pin (a little thicker). There are also little tinticles moving around between the spines...does anyone know what kind it is and if it is dangerious to a reef...If it is an algea eater it can stay but if not it may go.
Thanks,
Parks

2wetfeet
01/31/2005, 10:36 PM
Sounds like a Slate Pencil Urchin. I never had any problems with them and they did a good job on the algae. Post a picture if you can.

aLucidDream
01/31/2005, 10:38 PM
Not sure on exactly how dangerous it is to your reef, but i do know most people don't keep them because they will eat your coralline on your rocks.

Travis L. Stevens
01/31/2005, 10:40 PM
most of the people i know dont keep them, not because of the corraline algae but because they are little mini-bulldozers and will knock rocks over on themselves or on other things, such as snails, hermits, and even fish or eels

parks
01/31/2005, 10:42 PM
Sorry,
My wife has the digital camera and she is in Hawii. I looked for the slate pencil urchin. That was not it but you led me in the right direction. I found it on this page...
http://people.hws.edu/mitchell/cards01/LEI2.html
It is the white tipped urchin on that page....
thanks for your help,
Parks

usafjapan
01/31/2005, 10:57 PM
yup,.......... sounds like an urchin to me!!!!!!!!!!!