PDA

View Full Version : is there a difference between liverocks?

bluenassarius
01/31/2005, 09:15 PM
is there a difference between liverocks from fiji, tonga, australia etc? i see alot of LFS selling fiji liverock....
i saw some websites selling australia liverock
what is the difference? is there any?

leebca
01/31/2005, 09:46 PM
The LR from those areas can vary with regards to inhabitants unique to those waters.

In reality, it is hard if not impossible to generalize about sources of LR. LR within one square mile can have quite a range of differences. By the time the LR collector gathers it, processes it, and then ships it, they have altered it quite a bit.

It is my opinion that by the time we get our LR it is all different, but not directly because of its source.

If you find 'unusual' LR, just decide if it in waters of temperature and salinity you want to have in your aquarium. Then find a supplier you trust and determine if their processing is something you are satisfied with.

Shonuff
01/31/2005, 10:50 PM
All rock is not created equal. Different density, surface area, pourous nature, etc... I think for the most part though its personal preference. There are many vendors of live rock these days, I am not backing any one source. However I found the site below to list wider variety of different rock types than any other site I have found.

I hope it helps you in picking the rock thats right for you.

http://www.drmaccorals.com/sys-tmpl/fijirock/

Shonuff
01/31/2005, 10:53 PM
Oops, I just checked that site and realized that atm they do not have a wide selection of rock types, like they usually do. The last time I checked that like 6-7 different rock types listed and atm only 2-3 types.

REEFDAWG89
01/31/2005, 11:08 PM
i ve got some liverock you wont belive for sale.... email me at kempdawg89@comcast.net for pics and prices.... note this rock is hand collected without loss of any living thing due to transport in areated sw.