PDA

View Full Version : Tank size

backstepper
01/31/2005, 06:55 PM
I have read many threads about tank sizes, I understand the theory of 'bigger is better' to maintain a more stable ecosystem. However, I was wondering if anybody could put it into simpler terms....ie; 10 gal too small, 20 gal. not much better, 55 gal. good.
The reason being is there are many different tanks of shape and size availible, currently I am looking at the 36 gal. corner tank. Is this too small? Visually, the corner tanks look as though there is a larger surface area at the top, which I believe I read is good for air exchange. Any comments are appreciated!

Stevan
01/31/2005, 06:58 PM
It may come down to what you want to keep...and the lights necessary to do so.

johnpoole
01/31/2005, 07:47 PM
you'll find people here with tanks as small as 7 or 8 gallons, nano reefs, and they do great, a larger tank seems better for a 1st reef. cost is always a factor, most people agree that no mater what size tank you have, you'll always want a bigger one...just my 2

fishox
01/31/2005, 07:49 PM
There really isn't an answer to your question. Your tank will be determined by what you want to keep. Another big factor is how much you want to spend as the bigger tanks need bigger everything (skimmer, pumps, lighting). Decide what you want to keep, figure out what equipment will be needed (lights etc) and then pick a tank size that you can properly equip.

shred5
01/31/2005, 08:33 PM
fishox is right... Get what you can afford... Bigger might allow you to have more corals and be more stable, but it is more work.. bigger water changes.. More electricity... more additive... more food.... etc....

One thing people forget about is how many circuits you have for electricity near your tank... I live in an apartment and can only have one 15 amp circuit for the hole room... not much power there... Bigger tanks can require more circuits....

Money, time and space most likely will dictate what size tank you get...

Dave

JHReef
01/31/2005, 08:48 PM
^ Yep, it's true. Money and space are the two biggest factors. Size is relative to your husbandry skills. My first tank was a 10gal when I was a kid. Then I went 20, then 30. Reason, bigger tank = more $$, esp. when you're a kid. It wasn't until recently that I had the scratch to go big. But I still have small tanks too. I enjoy them just as much as ever. It's nice to do a 2-3 cup top-off in my Nano cube, compared to 2-3+ gals on my big tank.

backstepper
01/31/2005, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the great input. I'm not going to say money is no object, but I want to do it as close to right the first time. By saying that, if I do have to pay more than I expected in the begining for the proper equipment, then I know I'll end up saving in the long run.

I am sorry I wasn't more clear on the tank plans. I am still deep in research, but the goal was for the reef setup, 4 to 5 compatable fish, along with compatable inverts. A simple setup, but remember I am just starting. My research has not yet lead me into stock yet, but I do know that I want to replicate the reef eco as much as possible........LS, LR, stable water, minimal artifical filtration.

As sappy as it sounds, I like the whole clown, anemone relationship. A little further down the road then what info I am trying to get right now though

JHReef
02/01/2005, 02:27 PM
Hey, you're doing things right. It would be better for the hobby if more people approached it the way you have. I know people who take months to gather the equipment they need little by little so they don't have to sacfrifice anything. You may look into used equipment to save some $$. Thats how I got my big tank. I saved $1,000's right from the get go and had more money to spend on getting the good support equipment.

adickerson0
02/24/2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by backstepper
I am sorry I wasn't more clear on the tank plans. I am still deep in research, but the goal was for the reef setup, 4 to 5 compatable fish, along with compatable inverts. A simple setup, but remember I am just starting. My research has not yet lead me into stock yet, but I do know that I want to replicate the reef eco as much as possible........LS, LR, stable water, minimal artifical filtration.

I would say a 75 gallon is a good start. They are a good size. They can be moved by 2 stronger people up and down stairs and past doors. The price for the tank is well worth the upgrade. Most things that work on tanks 30-40 gallons (pumps, skimmer) work ok for a 75.

jvonthun
02/24/2005, 03:47 PM
If I had it to do over again I think I would have started with a 40 breeder. I just like the wide shallow dimensions. They seem like they would be easy to light and the equipment to run them could be kept to a minimum. One of the biggest costs when starting a reef is the live rock and live sand in a 40 breeder those costs wouldn't be astronomical like they can be for a larger tank. Plus the 40 offers about the right amount of water volume to be able to be kept stable by a beginner IMHO.

I am guessing I am really overlooking something about using that tank size though since I rarely see them being used for reef tanks.

I started with a 55. It's a nice size because they are so prolific. Equipment is easy to come by. The downside is they are difficult to aquascape, and more expensive to light/stock.

smilinteddy
02/24/2005, 04:27 PM
From everything that I've read, bigger is better. This is just because with a greater volume of water you have a greater margin of error as far as water parameters go. Changes happen a lot faster in a 10 gallon than they don in a 50 gallon. Something else to keep in mind is that wider is better than taller. Taller may look cooler, but wider is better, especially for a lot of the marine fish that need the space to swim and stretch their fins ;) Plus, the greater water surface area helps with gas exchange and what not as you rightly stated. As far as anemones and clowns, I can't agree with you more. I've got a BTA (bubble tip anemone - Entacmaea Quadricolor) with two tomato clowns in my tank, and it is a fascinating relationship to observe. Anemones are delicate creatures though, and you should definitely make sure your tank is well established before you get one. In an established tank with adequate lighting they (BTA's) seem to do quite well. Some people claim that they don't need that much lighting, but in those cases you need to feed them heavily, which adds mondo nutrients to the water, and from what I've heard, in the long run, they don't do that well. But all of this is stuff that you can worry about in the future ;) An invaluable resource that I found when I first started in the hobby was www.wetwebmedia.com. I only stumbled onto RC recently, which is unfortunate for me. You have a very good start, being a responsible aquarist and doing your research first :) Definitely check out wetwebmedia and send them your questions too. Get information from many different sources, web forums, sites, books, local fish clubs, stores, etc. process, and make an informed decision. Good luck and welcome to a wonderful if expensive and labor intensive hobby. :)

selgado
02/25/2005, 01:47 AM
Dilution is the solution to pollution. In bigger tanks problems develop more slowly. But at the same token are also cleared up more slowly.