PDA

View Full Version : Pink calcareous algae

jeffhawkins
01/31/2005, 05:02 PM
Hi I womder if anyone could give me some advise please?

In June of last year I sarted by tank with treated tap water, sure enough my LR soon became coated in algea even after five months I was getting more green than any other colour on my LR. I then changed to RO water and started to use Rowa foss to reduce the algae. This has stopped the rappid algae but the pink calcareous algae is mixed in with patches of dark green rock and this looks ugly. The guy at my local shop suggested using Strontium & Molybdenum by Kent Marine. I have been using this for a week now with little effect although I appreciate this will not grow over night my question is by having the Rowa foss in my filter chamber is this locking up all forms of algae? including pink calcareous algae?

Any thoughts or help would be great

Cheers

Jeff

staticfishmonger
01/31/2005, 05:13 PM
my advice is if your not testing for it dont add it. honestly the best thing you can do is just maintain the highest most stable water conditions. maintaing CA/ALK is also key. things like strontium and other more minor trace elements can usually be replenished by water changes using a high quality salt mix.
also having a proper cleaner crew to keep the rock as free of less wanted algae's as possible will help give the coraline a chance to get going. i dont think the rowa foss should have to much effect on the coraline.
like you said it does take time for coraline to really get going, and this is mainly because it like prestine stable conditions, which can be difficult to maintain in a new tank and for a new hobbiest.
i wouldnt stress to much about it as you progress and your tank matures the coraline will spread and soon enough it will spread so fast it almost becomes a pain having to scrape it off the front glass every few days...
good luck