PDA

View Full Version : What about the Nano-Cube

ayalagab
01/31/2005, 04:05 PM
Hi, I have been successfully enjoying for several years fresh water aquariums. But now, I would like to start a mini reef aquarium. What can you tell me about the nano-cube?

At first looks great for me because a don't have a lot of space in my living room. However, I want to ask someone before I buy one of this tanks.

Thanks,

Gabriel Ayala

CaliforniaDreamer
01/31/2005, 04:17 PM
If you are talking about the JBJ-Nano Cube I could provide some insights. I have had one up and running as a small reef for about a year. As it comes out of the box it is just not suitable for a reef. I have added another 32 watt power compact, a 70 watt Metal Halide to enhance the lighting. Replaced the pump with a Mini-Jet to enhance the flow, drilled the back and added a sump and fuge for nutrient export (10 gallon tank). A lot of work for such a small tank with limited display capabilities. I have it at work and have to come in on three day weekends for top-off and just to check it for proper operation because the total gallons are so small. It is also very hard to dose such things a Kalk because a very small addition results in a large change. IMHO a small tank like the JBJ is best left to the experts who take it as a challenge to manage such a small reef.

mike89t
01/31/2005, 04:25 PM
You might want to check out the Nano Forum:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=75

coralprincess23
01/31/2005, 04:27 PM
I don't know, I haven't had mine for very long, but the one at my LFS is running just as it comes out of the box with only a pump upgrade, and they have mushrooms, zoas, other softies, and an anemone. It's been up for over a year and it looks great! I have the 24 gallon deluxe, I would reccomend 24 over 12.
:rollface:

Nuhtty
01/31/2005, 05:10 PM
www.nano-reef.com

Depending on how advanced you want to get with the nano, it can get difficult. But if you want a simple reef with softies, etc...its not that hard.

mdt178
01/31/2005, 06:23 PM
CaliforniaDreamer,
Can you post a pic of your mod. Just wondering how you deal with the heat issue of the MH.

Thanks

Northtampatang
01/31/2005, 06:29 PM
I second NHUTTY, you can do a 32watt light upgrade and you should be fine for softies.

Nickeleye
02/12/2005, 01:52 AM
I've got 68w in my 12g cube and it looks pretty good. Although, now I'm wishing that maybe I went with a 20g and a MH setup. I've had to do a few mods and lighting upgrades just to make the cube look and function better. Between all the money spent on the modifications I probably should've just started with the 20 gal. and used the extra equipment I have left over from my 40 gal. reef. Oh wait, I was still breaking down the 40 gal. reef when I started transferring things over to the cube... D'OH!! What to do!

reefkeeper59
02/12/2005, 02:45 AM
ayalagab

If you are planning on having fish in your tank, that can make your entire experience a bad one. Fish create alot of waste,amonia, Feeding a tank is "one of many" worst things for a reef tank. Purticularly a small one. A nano cube deluxe (stronger light model 24Watt) can be fine with a small amount of rock (10 - 20 lbs) , hardy corals like zooanthus,palythoa (green polyps),star polyps (white/matalic green),recordia (green,blue,orange,pink), rock flower anemone (white,green,orange,yellow),half dozen turbo snails, couple emerald crabs,other assorted mushrooms (no giant or elephant ear), sun polyps,porcelain crab,couple blue leg hermits. Candy cane (caulastrea furcata) or a SMALL yellow fiji leather are a couple examples of center piece.

If fish are a must. Try a (small) six line wrasse or afridmani Pseudochromis (great for critter control) also a small goby,firefish, or yellow head jawfish. Remember when fish are added to the tank, the polution is on the rise. Tank conditions change quickly when fish are present.

Keep quantity of fish to a bare minimum (two). Feed very little. Any quantity of fish is a major risk for the entire eco system. Always do 10% water change weekly. faithfully. Always use RO/DI water if posssible. LFS should have for 30 cent gallon.

Goodluck.

Putawaywet
02/12/2005, 03:13 AM
FWIW, I think they just came out with a larger size tank. At least my LFS had one up and running when I went in the other day. Comes with 2 bulbs, is somewhat longer and wider and noticably taller. Also comes with an optional stand for floor display. Didn't have the chance to get the gallons on it though - sorry.

Brett

Nickeleye
02/12/2005, 03:40 AM
The JBJ cubes only come in 12 and 24 gal. versions.

Putawaywet
02/12/2005, 10:51 PM
You're right. It appears I was looking at a 24 gal deluxe, but for some reason it looked bigger. Sorry aobut that.

Brett