PDA

View Full Version : SandStorm

PodBoy
01/31/2005, 03:25 PM
Well i changed my CC bed to a sand bed ,and good lord i cant see a thing :-)

I was wondering if there is anything i can do to help it along in clearing up, like a cannister filter or anything, Or am i doomed to have to be patient and wait..?

I already like the sand much more than the CC bed !! and i can only see about 3 inches into the aquarium .

Thanks

Michael73
01/31/2005, 03:31 PM
A protein skimmer will go a long way to help clear the cloudiness quickly.

Having said that, this hobby is all about patience...

PodBoy
01/31/2005, 03:32 PM
Yea i got the skimmer going full steam, not the greatest skimmer but it does do pretty good once it is set.

hummusx
01/31/2005, 03:32 PM
Do you have live rock and what not in there? I would guess it'll clear up in 24 hours if you do.

romunov
01/31/2005, 03:33 PM
You could run a canister filter. I had a sand storm when I set up the tank and the filter cleared it (and partially it settled) in a day.

PodBoy
01/31/2005, 03:34 PM
Yea i have all my live rock and stuff back in there, Just really impatient to see the tank with a new bottom..

I really disliked the look of the CC bed

Limpit
01/31/2005, 04:27 PM
I have the same problem with my tank. I used Aragonite reef grade sand, rinsed it well, placed it in the tank and still get clouds whenever the bottom is disturbed. I stuck my Magnum canister filter onto the tank and it helped clear things up. I even used the gravel cleaner attached to the magnum and it grabbed some of the dust but a lot went right through the filter because it is so fine. I just read another posting that said to just leave it alone and that once the tank gets established the sand storm will settle down due to detritus accumulating on the sand.

PodBoy
02/01/2005, 01:02 AM
Well i hooked up a magnum 350 filter and wow that helped clear it up alot.. I really like the sand bed versus the CC.. I am glad i changed it