PDA

View Full Version : pH and alkalinity are out of control

knumbnutz
01/31/2005, 01:55 PM
I have been maintaining a nanoreef for about three years with some success, and my dad has been at it for 4 years with a 75 gallon bow front.
He recently purchased a calcium reactor and to the best of my knowledge has it dialed in at 6.8pH on the outflow. His pH in the tank dropped to about 7.8 and he has been buffering to raise the pH and now the alkalinity is out of control.
Of course he won't listen to me, I told him to leave it alone, but his constant meddling is killing a beautiful piece of frogspawn and this fish seem stressed. Testing of the pH is done with a pH meter that I personally calibrated to make sure it was giving accurate readings. I believe the alkalinity test is Kent Marine and the last measure ment was 23.5. Which seems off the scale to me {since the target is 4.5}, but he swears by it.
I have been so frustrated trying to help him with his tank and maintain a reef he is ready to call it quits, so any advice would be helpful. How do you get a severe ionic imbalance back to reef safe conditions and any steps to save the frag spawn? It was doing so well I wish he would leave it alone!!!

CWW

knumbnutz
01/31/2005, 01:56 PM
That last part should read frog spawn, I would like to frag it some day, but he has to keep it alive first.

CWW

Stevan
01/31/2005, 02:04 PM
When I screwed up my water the same way I started adding CA part of a 2 part additive and the excess ALK precipitated out over a weeks time.

WaterKeeper
01/31/2005, 02:07 PM
CWW,

It would seem to me that the reactor is adding too much CO2. I would imagine your calcium levels are also high at this point. I'd stop using the reactor until alkalinity drops. Use some washing soda to increase the pH and a non-carbonate calcium additive if it is needed. You best bet is to read the articles that Randy has on the chemistry forum for much more info on this subject. pH, Alk and calcium articles (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=696482#post696482)

knumbnutz
01/31/2005, 03:44 PM
WaterKeeper,
About the Ca ion levels in the tank are surprisingly low. The outflow of the CaReactor is 330ppm, but the calcium level in the tank is like 110ppm. This is using the Salifert Ca test, reported to be the "most accurate" by the LFS. I would tend to believe them Salifert makes some quality supplies.
When dad told me that part my head started spinning and I decided to start this post.
The calcium reactor bubble counter is at about 1bubble/sec.

I forwarded the articles to my dad, I have spent many hours myself reading randy's posts and articles.

So super high alkalinity and low Ca+ in the tank.
Advice:
1. Kill the reactor until Ak is normal
2. What is washing soda? That is a new one for me.
3. I guess the non-carbonate calcium is the part2 of two part calcium additive like Stevan mentioned?

Thanks for the replies I will being doing some chemistry research when I get off work tonight. Scary that a mathematician is doing chemistry.

Stevan
01/31/2005, 08:45 PM
This may help...

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

or not!

Micki
01/31/2005, 10:39 PM
knumbnutz, I have been in the same situation before. I added PH buffer to raise my PH only to set my alk. off the charts. I think my highest was something like 25 or 25!. I posted in Randy's forum and got the help I needed. However I don't have a Calcium reactor. I was adding a CA suppliment. I think Kents. My calcium was high but not terrible. I think it was around 500. Randy told me to stop the buffer and let things be... That was in September of 2004, just today I tested and and "finally" got more normal Alk reading. It was 2.97. (I tested daily for a while, then went to weekly then bi weekly now monthly.) I do however dose with lime water. Calcium fine. Ph still a little lower than I would like. Hope this helps.