PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic 46gal Bowfront, is the back drillable?

waypoint
01/31/2005, 12:14 PM
Although this is my first post, I having been reading on this forum for 4 weeks nows. While this forum is filled with tons of information, I have found out that the more I read the less clearer the answer is due to so many varying opinions.

I got a 46g Oceanic bowfront for xmas and decided I wasn't going to do anything until I understood everything about the setup. I ordered a Tidepool SOS skimmer becaue of the good reviews, but then got scared because of the bad reviews.

I decided to put my fears to rest by drilling the tank on the back. This way I won't have to worry about the chance of flooding the overflow. The sticker on the bottom said the bottom was tempered glass and not to drill. It made no mention of the walls. I've read over 200 messages about drilling tanks through searches here. Specifically, messages pretaining to oceanic tanks. I read all kinds of responses from "it perfectly OK to drill the sides" to "as of Feb 2004 all Oceanic tanks are made with tempered glass" and not to drill. I decided to call Oceanic myself this morning, the guy on the other end said that only the bottom is tempered not the walls, but any drilling of the walls would void the warranty. I asked has there been a time in the past where your tanks were made of all tempered glass. He said no, not to his knowledge. After I hung up, I got to thinking. They never asked for the serial number, the build date, or any info about my tank. All he knew was I got the 46 gall bowfront for xmas.

Can anyone here who has an oceanic shed some light on this drilling issue. Past personal experience would be appreciated.

Entropy
01/31/2005, 12:40 PM
[welcome]

I have never seen the sides made from Tempered glass. All the bowfronts (any size) that I have seen only have the tempered bottom. Regardless you still are going to risk cracking the tank by drilling it, but it can be done. I suggest you source a smaller glass tank (a used 10g would be perfect) and practice drilling holes in it to get a good idea of what works without risk to your new tank.