PDA

View Full Version : DSB and the dust storm

Deep6
01/31/2005, 12:12 PM
I am finishing my basement and mounted my 55g into a wall. I have never done a reef tank before and here is where I’m at so far. I just filled it up with water the other day and put in 130# of OldCastle play sand. Now that the sand storm is starting to clear, there seems to be a thin layer of silt on the bottom. When I go to clean the glass and a little currant hits the bottom I get a poof of dust off it. Should I be removing that thin layer of silt or just leave it alone or what? Also If someone could recommend a (for now) inexpensive but half way decent water testing kit, that would be helpful.

Thanks
Tim

romunov
01/31/2005, 03:49 PM
Leave it. Soon, it will be covered with animal mucus and becterial film and will not go 'puff' any more. :D And if you're going for a functional DSB, the sand will get mixed a lot by the animals you will use to seed your bed.

I would get Ca, Alk and NO3 test. To be sure the cycle has gone through, wait 5-6 weeks. :)

Deep6
01/31/2005, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the info this stuff is a little scarry when you don't know what your doing!! :)