PDA

View Full Version : Estimated Value

auker
01/31/2005, 12:05 PM
I'm playing with the idea of selling my setup to eliminate the expense of maintaining the tank as I prepare to buy a house. Plus then I have a good excuse to start over using all that I've learned. About how much do you think my tank would be worth? I have a 55 gal not drilled, a decent looking stand, but no room for a sump underneath. Two powerheads each pushing about 150 gph (can't remember brand). 4 power compacts about 4 or 5 months old (paid about 200 for setup). A penguin biowheel filter, some no name skimmer. About 80 lbs of figi live rock, 3 inches of "live" sand. It was seeded with a small amount of live sand but lots of worms and who knows what else in there. A small yellow tang, pseudeochromis, blenny, probably about 15 hermit crabs, 15 assorted snails, bta, cleaner shrimp, emerald crab, sand sifting star, black long spine urchin (I forget true name). There is a small amount of cyno I've been fighting with, almost all gone. Plenty of tube worms and other critters on the rock including a million and one little snails that come out when the lights are off. No recent deaths. Thanks for any input.

adickerson0
01/31/2005, 12:31 PM
If you can par it out you may get about $700 as a set you will get about $500. The tank and stand can go for $150-200 a good light can go for that too. The sump gear can just go with the tank for another $75.

If you plan on getting new tank I would turn the fish in for store credit at a LFS.

Your best bet is to keep the tank for your sump on a bigger system. Put the tank stand in the garage with a top for work space. Sell the rest.

I think you may make good money on live rock...if it is fresh and looks nice expect to get 4-5$ a lb.

raskal311
01/31/2005, 12:34 PM
Well its going to depend on area but I s. cal you will get about $300-$400 if you try to sell everything at once.

Neurosis
01/31/2005, 12:43 PM
The tank and stand can go for $150-200 a good light can go for that too

I bought my 55 tank and stand from Walmart for $200! For me, if the equipment has been in use for a year or more, I've always priced things to move, so I'll go up to 50% of what I originally bought it for. Either ways, don't get too caught up on trying to recoup the cost of what you had to shell out. I've seen ppl who unrealistically try to sell tanks for 75% of market value and it'll sit for like 5mos on a buy/sell forum , when for a few dollars more you could just buy new.

BLANKENSHIP76
01/31/2005, 03:01 PM
I bought my 55 tank(NEW) for 55 bucks, just a thought.

I also just bought this weekend from a guy 85 pds of live rock covered in zoo,s(I mean covered), plus three soft corals(all big), 3 mushroom rocks, other addorted polypl, his refugium, and 200-300 pds of live sand with tons of crabs and snails.

I paid 300 for everything.

Just a thought...