PDA

View Full Version : Need sand sifter information

BV4fish
01/31/2005, 11:56 AM
I'm looking for information on sand sifter options. I have recently started a 30 gallon FOWLR... only have 4 snails, 4 hermits, and 2 hitchhiking crabs so far. Please post any and all information you can about sand sifters. My bed is about 2 inches of sugar grain sized Aragonite reef sand. I've tried looking at website "packages" but they were of little help to me as I don't know what things are and what does what.... blah, blah, blah!

In the words of Johnny 5: "INPUT!"

fsu
01/31/2005, 12:02 PM
try doing a search on here for "clean up crew". That should help!

Fenix
01/31/2005, 12:05 PM
Are you longing for algea control or just a good sand sifter?

If you are looking for a sand sifter get a fighting conch, and stay away form sand sifting stars.

BV4fish
01/31/2005, 12:05 PM
Fenix.... Can you tell me why?

jcgso
01/31/2005, 12:08 PM
I'd go with a couple of dozen Nassarius Snails and one or two Fighting Conchs.

fsu
01/31/2005, 12:09 PM
Just sand shifting you could also use Nassarius snails.

I believe about the sand shifting star is because they will virtually eat everything in your live sand and eventually deplete it of being "live" sand, but I may be wrong.

romunov
01/31/2005, 12:14 PM
I think a sandsifting starfish is a no-no for your tank because:
-tank size
-their nutrition

I think your tank will not support a fighting conch (Strombus alatus). They need a lot of open sand bed. See more about them here (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-07/rs/index.htm).

I suggest a healthy dose of polychete worms or some Nassarius snails.

BV4fish
01/31/2005, 12:19 PM
Ok... I think then that I will go with some Nassarius snails. How many do people suggest for a tank of my size with 4 Trochus snails, 4 Scarlet hermits and 2 hitchhiking crabs?

BV4fish
01/31/2005, 12:46 PM
What about the Bumble Bee Snail? Are they compatible with what I have and are they suggested? If so how many? If not these, then how many Nassarius snails?

romunov
01/31/2005, 03:46 PM
Bumble bees are, in essence, predatory whelks. I would not use them.
As for the number of Nassarius snails... I would try 10 and go from there.
You can ask local reefers (see if there is a club in your area) to donate some Collonista, Stomatella varia and Columbellids. If you manage to get these, you're set with "algae graizers" for life, as they all reproduce in the tank.
If you don't like that idea, try about three Trochus snails. Be sure to wait between additions, you don't want to overstock, as the animals will die due to malnutrition. There must always be at least a patch of algae left.