PDA

View Full Version : An Introducation of Sorts

Frostz320
01/31/2005, 08:46 AM
:strooper:
Hey all, my name is Gabriel. I'm pretty new to this whole hobby. My roommate has a tank that he's had for the last couple of years; however it didn't really have much in it until about a couple days ago. Please bare with me as I don't know a lot of the names of the creatures but here's what I know...

*45 gallon tank
*40 lbs live rock
*3ft light x2
*10-12 snails
*4 scarlet hermits
*1 emerald crab (mine)
*1 blue-legged hermit (mine)
*1 blue damsel
*2 other small fish the size of the blue damsel
*2 black damsels
*1 flame angel (mine)
*1 crab
*1 spider crab
*1 spotted tipped mushroom coral
*1 piece of coral that looks like it has tentacles coming out the top.

If you guys can provide any information on what to get or how to improve the tank, I would be grateful. Also, I can't get my Flame angel to eat, even with some of that "Seaweed Selects: Green Marine Algae" clipped in the tank. Thanks in advance for the help!

shealygg
01/31/2005, 09:06 AM
[welcome]

I would probably ditch some of the damsels...they can be very aggressive and your FA may be intimidated. Wait and see some other replies. You've definitely found the best place to learn and ask Qs.

shealygg
01/31/2005, 09:08 AM
Also, you said that this tank didn't have much in it until a couple of days ago....how about elaborating on that little more. Let us know what's changed about the tank recently. That may provide more insight.

Frostz320
01/31/2005, 09:22 AM
Sure thing, when I moved in to the apt in Aug '04 we had the blue damsel and a small white fish with yellow fins (same size as blue), the 4 scarlet hermits, a regular crab, the snails, the two corals and about 35 lbs of live rock.

About two weeks ago, my roommate bought another 5 lbs of live rock, the two black damsels, a small tiger looking fish (size of the blue) and the spider crab.

Friday, Jan 21, 2005, I bought the flame angel, the emerald crab and the blue legged hermit.

Hope this helps.

shealygg
01/31/2005, 09:52 AM
Here's my opinion, but I'm not an expert.....

It sounds like you've done a lot in a short period of time (in terms of adding fish -- 4 new in past 2 wks). Plus, it sounds like a lot of fish for your tank size. I do know that damsels are aggressive, but I don't know the ramifications of mixing damsels....I would think that that certainly wouldn't help the situation.

More than likely, your damsels are causing problems. If it were me, I'd get rid of the damsels altogether. Most LFSs will sell you a damsel with a new tank in order to help cycle the tank. Damsels are not what most people try to populate their reef with. I would also try and determine what the white fish is and what the "tiger" fish is.

Don't take this harshly, but, you (or your roommate) should always know what you're buying and what it's needs are before making the purchase. It's definitely live and learn, but now you've found RC, so you've got a great resource. I would not always rely on what your LFS tells you until you've researched it. Definitely spend more time here on RC...read, read, read. Also, learn to use the SEARCH feature...it can be a tremendous asset.

If it were me, I'd research the white fish and the tiger fish and determine their needs and compatibility w/ your flame angel. I'd also sell the damsels back to the LFS. And then, I'd add nothing else for now. That would leave you with three fish, provided they're all compatible, which is plenty for your size tank for now. I'd get myself completely comfortable with that setup and with diligent maintenance of the tank before moving forward with other fish. I have a 125 and only have 4 fish myself....not trying to sound snobby b/c I do intend on adding more fish. I just want to make sure I can handle, and understand the fish I have before moving forward.

Please don't take this reply as harsh or "fish-snobby"...I am sincerely just trying to help. Good luck on the homework!