PDA

View Full Version : starting a new tank

neuman
01/31/2005, 03:46 AM
ok in a few months i wanna get a lionfish i dont no how big to get a tank coz i dont know how big they grow and i dont no to much about them i planed on getting a hexagon tank custum made with a sump of about 100l with live lil fish in it and maybe a few stone fish with my lion fish wat else would i need

Reefmaniac1
01/31/2005, 03:54 AM
Not to be too critical, but some punctuation would help...I had some trouble reading your post.

Lionfish, depending on the species, get to be over a foot long. You would need at least a 75 or 90 gallon tank, in my opinion. I assume that you know they are VERY toxic (along with stone fish) and the stings from either fish can kill and are at a minimum, EXQUISITELY painful (I know from personal experience, having been stung twice by lionfish).

Lions and stonefish are predators, and will likely munch on the "live lil fish" that you are planning to keep.

I humbly suggest doing some additional research, at the library or buying some books, on the fish you plan on keeping.

I don't intend this posting to be critical...it's just meant as advice.

neuman
01/31/2005, 04:00 AM
yea i think thats a good idea i will have to buy sum books and read up on it but can u tell me ne thing about them

Reefmaniac1
01/31/2005, 04:05 AM
Both are carnivorous, toxic and can grow to rather large size. Other than that, what specifically would you like to know?

neuman
01/31/2005, 04:06 AM
wat ever u can tell me i would be happy with i dont wanna kill these fish or myself

Reefmaniac1
01/31/2005, 04:21 AM
Stonefish are going to hide on the bottom, looking like the live rock in your tank. Extreme care must be taken when you are working down on the bottom of the tank.

Lionfish like to "hang around"...they don't like a lot of current. Frequently, they will find a spot in the tank and hang motionless against the glass. Lions can be "trained" to taking prepared foods such as squid and clam pieces. I don't know about stonefish, though.