PDA

View Full Version : Potential of a tank

Big Red AWD
01/31/2005, 02:07 AM
I am in the precess of moving to a new apartment. It will be on the 13th floor, facing the south-west. Every room has floor to ceiling windows.

I am planning to set up a 90 gal folwr. Will I have a problem with algae? Will a lawnmower bleany be sufficient in taking car of any excessive growth?

steve

drock59
01/31/2005, 02:13 AM
algae all depends on the photoperiod, phosphate and silicate, IME> If you keep your photperiod at a normal level with timers, use phosban and a RO/DI unit you will be fine. cant you put a back on the tank so it doesnt recieve as much light?

Also, i have had several tanks in the past that have been in front of windows with no excessive algae probs.

I dont think the issue is whether or not a lawnmower blenny will take care of this issue. Bad algea is a sign of other things going on.

Avi
01/31/2005, 07:32 AM
If you have light coming in from the windows that shines directly on the tank, adventitious algae will show up sooner rather than later. So, drock's right...it becomes even more critical for you to maintain the tank very well with not even the slightest overfeeding and regular and frequent water changes and make sure you get a superior protein skimmer. You might also consider only putting on the lights over the tank when you're at home, since you won't have any coral from what you said, so that won't be an issue.

O'Coralman
01/31/2005, 07:47 AM
We all get algae from time to time. My controls......refugium,foxface, snails.....seems to work fine 'cept for the daily glass cleaning.

Steve

Big Red AWD
01/31/2005, 10:22 AM
Regarding AVI post, what would be considered a superior protien skimmer. I have read good things about the AquaC skimmers, are there any others that can be suggested?

CH
01/31/2005, 10:47 AM
Another thing to be concerned about, is the weight of the aquarium. Maybe you have already looked into this, but I would make sure the area of floor you will be placing the aquarium, will be able to safely hold that much of a load. You are looking at easily over 1000lbs, depending on what you have for sump etc. Just the water for 90gal is about 750lbs.
Anyway, just wanted to make sure you think about that! (if you haven't already)

Avi
01/31/2005, 10:56 AM
I have an Aqua-C EV....and I'm very satisfied with it...I was also considering a Euro Reef but the thing that swayed me was the availability of an overflow canister that Euro didn't make available...I'm really glad I did get that cause there are times, like when I go away or something like that when it comes in very handy. There are other good skimmers like Precision Marine from what I've been told...do a search in RC cause there's plenty of stuff to read about skimmer recommendations here.

drock59
01/31/2005, 11:37 AM
do some research on skimmers.

Big Red AWD
01/31/2005, 03:25 PM
The building is built with steel and span-crete, so I do not think weight will be a issue, but I will consult the building's management. I should probably go straight to the maintenance crew because the building manager will probably try access a fee for having a large fish tank.

I have been discouraged about using the search function for broad topics such as protein skimmers. I was hoping to acquire a few specific names so I would be able to narrow my search.

drock59
01/31/2005, 03:32 PM
Deltec, Euro Reef, ASM, Precision marine, GEO to name a few. It really depends on what you are willing to spend. you really should go all out on a good skimmer, IMO.