PDA

View Full Version : brown algae new to hobby

mktk7
01/31/2005, 12:57 AM
what is going on lots of brown algae need advice new to hobby and when should i do water change and how much 10% or more.

staticfishmonger
01/31/2005, 01:47 AM
first off WELCOME, and please give us a little more information about you tank. things like filtration, lighting, what kind of live rock (if any), etc etc. without the details of your tank its hard to be to much of a help, but here is some pretty general information that should at least get you started.
with a new tank algae can be expected. there are things you can do to help, for starters you need to use high quality water (RO/DI) for water changes and top-off. the general rule is 10-20% once to twice a month, some people like to do smaller changers more often and others like big changes less often. i would say for a new tank like yours a 10% every other week would be ideal.
if the tank is cycled and all your water parameters are looking good you can add a invert cleaning crew, things like hermit crabs and snails to graze on the algae and what not.
the big thing to do now is to montior your tanks parameters through testing. things like nitrate, phosphate, salinity, temp, calcium/alkalinity, and ph need to be stable and within acceptible area's. i know it seems like a lot, and can be overwhelming even, but honestly it sounds harder than it is. as your tank naturally matures and your skillz as a hobbiest increase little problems like these will become a thing of the past.
also do some research, use the search button this site. most of questions you will have, have been answered already in great detail and you should have no trouble finding them.
good luck with the tank...

mktk7
01/31/2005, 11:17 PM
thank you for ur time, my tank is 29 gallon,10,000k light,penguin 330,50w heater,2 inch coral sand, 6 damsels nothing else going to get LR here soon wish i would have started with LR but beginner been studying books but still like word of mouth! want to go reef soon any ideals with what ive got wish had someone here in arizona to chat and guide me a little love this hobby know its not easy but really want to succeed and show pics one day theres some nice tanks out there!

BMink
01/31/2005, 11:53 PM
mktk7

Welcome,

I too am very new to this hobby and I have a 29gallon tank that I'm cycling at the moment. I'm sorry I won't be much help in the way of advice for you as I'm still learing myself but I'm always willing to chat with somebody in my home state. Send me a PM sometime. Also good luck and the only piece of real advice I can offer you right now is BE PATIENT and GO SLOW. Take you time and you will benefit from it. Also if you haven't already pick up a good book to use for reference. Talk to you soon.