PDA

View Full Version : hair algae problem

8mpg
01/31/2005, 12:16 AM
Well, I thought I had it under control but it seems like it will never go away...

I have a 55 gal tank with 3 MJ 1200 powerheads so water circulation is pretty good. The lights are a little old (ordered new ones today) but what can be the main cause of the algae?? I have chateo growing like crazy and I was hoping it would stop the hair algae but I was wrong. Any suggestions?

So far I have done a few water changes with RO/DI to try and help, added a bag of Phosguard to try and lower the phospate levels... Lights are on the way, anything else I can do to help it?

tigerczr
01/31/2005, 01:32 AM
Put in some Turbo Snails, if you don't have them already. Also, a Lawnmower Blenny. How long have you had the tank up?

Cesar

Cobreth
01/31/2005, 02:24 AM
How old is the tank? I haven't had algae in my tank since month 6.

And a tip to clean it up: Use a toothbrush to brush it off the live rock.

Good luck.

-Matt

Reefmaniac1
01/31/2005, 02:51 AM
What are your water quality levels? Ammonia? Nitrite? Nitrate? Phosphates? Phosphates and nitrates are the two most common fertilizer ingredients and thus will fuel algae blooms but ammonia is also another one.

Live rock (depending on where it's from) is a huge source of phosphates. Volcanic rock-based live rock is the most common phosphate source.

8mpg
01/31/2005, 08:12 AM
the tank has been up for close to 2 years now...

I bought 5 turbos yesterday hoping they will help and I have a lawnmower blenny that doesnt do squat. People told me its a hit or miss with those guys and it looks like I missed out.

Im going to recheck the water a little today for the water quality and I will post it up.

trueperc
01/31/2005, 08:55 AM
I have tried the lawnmower blenny, snail, scraping rocks. The best and sorry but on for sure creature that eats hair algea is a Sea Hare. Do you research on here and you'll here many success story's. I can't believe what an amazing job one did in my 110 and I've been battling it for about 8 months.

8mpg
01/31/2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by trueperc
I have tried the lawnmower blenny, snail, scraping rocks. The best and sorry but on for sure creature that eats hair algea is a Sea Hare. Do you research on here and you'll here many success story's. I can't believe what an amazing job one did in my 110 and I've been battling it for about 8 months.

i have a lawnmower and he doesnt do squat...i have read a lot about sea hares and am about to get one.i have heard lots of sucess and warnings about the bad stuff but no real stories of bad things happeneng...

trueperc
01/31/2005, 04:21 PM
I have had a sea hare in my tank for over a month and nothing bad so far to report, just so happy that all my hair algea is gone.

Limpit
01/31/2005, 04:30 PM
What will happen to the Sea Hare when the algae is all eaten? Do they accept prepared foods well?

trueperc
01/31/2005, 04:32 PM
I believe I have seen him eating all types of algea, picture him as a large snail. I've seen him cleaning the glass, maybe try nori.

trueperc
01/31/2005, 04:37 PM
Also, not sure it your are going to get it from a LSF, but the one around here is suggesting to people that once your problem is cleaned up and bring it back. I really like my guy, ugly as hell, but he's doing great.