PDA

View Full Version : Green Bubbles

BradL.
01/31/2005, 12:08 AM
Ive recently noticed a couple of small green bubbles on my live rock.Is this reason to be concerned?

8mpg
01/31/2005, 12:11 AM
sounds like bubble algae... DONT POP THEM

I would suggest an emerald crab or two, they seem to eat the algae

drjrose
01/31/2005, 12:13 AM
Take a picture. Might be bubble algae. Popping the bubble will release spores as will scrubbing the rock. Emerald crabs can help.

flycut
01/31/2005, 12:23 AM
Try to take care of them now before they spread all over.

masterswimmer
01/31/2005, 12:23 AM
There are many different types of Valonia (bubble algae). They are a nuisance and like 8mpg and drjrose said, don't pop them. Try to get rid of them by hand if you can. I've had decent success that way. Mithrax (Emerald) Crabs are hit or miss with them. They might go after the small bubbles, but as soon as they get too big, they leave them alone, for the most part.

Good luck,
Russ

johnnstacy
01/31/2005, 12:25 AM
I had a reef tank reach epidemic proportions with bubble algae (valonia). There are three ways to take care of the problem. The first may be emerald crabs but that is subjective as they are also prone to eating other corals. They will not focus just on bubble algae. The second method takes practice. The bubbles can be removed but you must be very careful not to break them. I use to pry on them lightly and try to remove them from the base. I was about 50% successful. The very best way, in my opinion is to get yourself a hypodermic needle and poke the algae and then suck out the insides which is 99% water. Then remove the shell of what was once the bubble.
Bubble algae look kind of cool but that is the allure. It spreads extremely fast and will encroach on other corals. Remove them as soon as possible. Good luck