PDA

View Full Version : Bristle worm?

2coolcamaro
01/30/2005, 10:57 PM
I have descovered tonight that i have what i think are fireworms or bristtle worms. As i was watching tv i noticed something moving in my tank (sits five inches from the couch) i grabed a flash light to see a 8 to 10 inch bristtle worm crawl along a rock and in to a hole. so i got nosey and moved to my other tank to find many of such lenght as well as many smaller ones roaming around slowly. I was wondering how if any way to control these, i lost a fish a while back to reason i never did figure out i chucked it up to a ****ed off arrow crab but now i wonder if these worms could have caused this. I have an arrow crab who mustnot be doing his job. plwease if there is another way to remove then other than trapping please let me know.
Thanks Robb

greenbean36191
01/30/2005, 11:03 PM
The worms aren't the cause of the missing fish. They are a great part of the clean up crew. They are scavengers. If they are getting that big then there is obviously a lot for them to scavenge too.

2coolcamaro
01/30/2005, 11:12 PM
so is there a way to get rid of them with out urting the tank or anyone esle in it i heard something about copperbanded butterfly and coral banded shrimp

clavery
01/30/2005, 11:12 PM
how big is your arrow crab? I've read they will eat fish if they get big.

greenbean36191
01/30/2005, 11:15 PM
Well, they are very helpful to your tank; probably the best members of your cleanup crew, so I would recommend you keep them. However, if they really bother you that much you can put some shrimp in a peice of pantyhose. When they try to eat the shrimp they will get their bristles caught.

2coolcamaro
01/30/2005, 11:20 PM
well if they are ok i do not havwe a prob. with them i just do not want pricked if i am cleanin g and do not see them

2coolcamaro
01/30/2005, 11:27 PM
oh and the arrow crab has a leg span of about 8" i do not think he is very big yet but i have cuaght him getting rough with the tang but she get rough back so it is all good i guess

romunov
01/31/2005, 03:05 AM
Be sure not to touch it.
Fire worm = bristle worm. And they got their name for a reason. :)
Arrow crabs are known to eat it. However I can't imagine why would some one want to rid a tank of one of the most useful animals that make things tic-tac. :D

2coolcamaro
01/31/2005, 06:20 AM
well i guess i am going to let things be, there size was a touch unsightly and the lfs said it may eat my corals so i was nervous. But hey if you guys think i am safe then i am willing to let it fly. I do not normally get worried about such things, normally i just let my fake nature run its course. If the wife saw that t she would never walk near it again, the tank at the foot of the bed would be a goner. Hate to deside between a year of marriage and my wife of five years.

Leviathan
01/31/2005, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by 2coolcamaro
well i guess i am going to let things be, there size was a touch unsightly and the lfs said it may eat my corals so i was nervous. But hey if you guys think i am safe then i am willing to let it fly. I do not normally get worried about such things, normally i just let my fake nature run its course. If the wife saw that t she would never walk near it again, the tank at the foot of the bed would be a goner. Hate to deside between a year of marriage and my wife of five years.

Apparently the LFS giving you this information,,,needs to educate themselves before giving out similar bad/or even worse advice to another customer!

romunov
01/31/2005, 08:13 AM
A worm may indeed eat your corals! But those that eat them look like this (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=478040). Be sure to scroll down, as the first picture shows "benificial" ones.

One man's garbage... :)