PDA

View Full Version : All About Heighth

johnnstacy
01/30/2005, 10:55 PM
I remember several years ago when I had a reef tank and my armpits usually were sore by the time I cleaned the inside of the glass and stirred the sand, etc. Now as I get back into the hobby I am faced with the decision on heighth. My stand will be 30". Now I am looking at the tank heighth along with how the canopy is accessed. I saw canopies like my old one that have a solid front and a lift up top. They were okay but that was another 8-10" I had to reach over. I saw a nice front swing up type model but the overall height was 16" with the swing up door opening about 14". What I was not able to see was how a 16" canopy looked like on a 18" or 25" high tank. I am just guessing that a canopy that is 16" high would really looke best on a tank that is at least 30" tall. But here again, we run into the cleaning and maintenance issues and access. The 16" is appealing to be not for esthetics but to keep the MH's away from me a bit and the front access is nice. Do you have any opinions or photos you would share on the subject? Thanks.

John

drjrose
01/30/2005, 11:06 PM
I have two 30" tall tanks. One has a short hood with front only access. To do any serious work I have to take the hood off.

The other hood is taller with both front and top access. This second hood is far superior.