PDA

View Full Version : What do Hermit Crab molts look like?

Lures and Jigs
01/30/2005, 09:09 PM
I'm not sure if our crabs are molting or being ripped appart :( When our shrimp molt it looks like the shell is mostly transparent, but just today I've found two crabs that have either been torn in half or molted :confused:

Limpit
01/30/2005, 09:29 PM
The molt should be hollow. Any fish in the tank that would like a hermit for lunch?

Drix
01/31/2005, 01:05 AM
Molts generally look like a hermit crab with a hole in the back. Look around for crab shells- if you don't see any you should be ok. If not you might be in trouble.

Misfit6669
01/31/2005, 01:44 AM
The front half of the molt will look like a full crab and might freak you out at first. The back half will be very thin.
Brian

porkbullet
01/31/2005, 02:40 AM
On a related note. What if you can't get the molted shell of a hermit or shrimp out of the tank? Is it bad to leave it in? Will it contribute to ammonia, etc.?

Lures and Jigs
01/31/2005, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by Limpit
The molt should be hollow. Any fish in the tank that would like a hermit for lunch?

Not that I'm aware of, I have two clowns, a gramma, two dartfish, and a scooter blenny.

From the descriptions it sounds like a molt.

derk66
01/31/2005, 12:14 PM
i remember the first time i seen one of my hermit crabs molt. it looked like something ripped it right out of its shell and cut him in half. the front claws were all intact but the rear looked small. it is very nerving until you see your hermit crab, still intact and sifting through sand.
i remember someone saying that the molt is actually a good thing for the tank so don't remove it. it will dissolve in less than a week's time and if i remember correctly, it adds calcium to the tank w/o raising any crucial levels.

porkbullet
01/31/2005, 12:26 PM
wow, that's cool! Anyone else support this theory that molts are good to leave in the tank??

1968 Water Lily
01/31/2005, 02:27 PM
I heard the same thing. I did a search on WetWebMedia when I found my hermie had molted. You should leave it in, in case they want to eat it (it's supposed to be good for them...mine don't eat theirs) and it won't foul the water.

Misfit6669
01/31/2005, 03:12 PM
I would always just leave them in, same with all my shrimp molts too.
Brian