PDA

View Full Version : backrounds

banga13
01/30/2005, 07:16 PM
what are some of your thoughts on backrounds??? Blue, black, paint, stick on, paper , no backround. I guess I wouldn't see the cords in back but what else are they good for??? Just looking for some opinions>>>
Leslie

Buster4900
01/30/2005, 07:24 PM
I like the solid black and blue color. They seem a little expensive for all they are. I hate to try paint, to permenant. And no background then everything in the back can been seen. I hope the coraline algae grows and covers the back, I think that will look good. Curious to see others thoughts.

Limpit
01/30/2005, 07:25 PM
I prefer to paint the outside back of my tanks. Most people if they do that paint them black or blue. I personally don't like the stick on backgrounds because over time it gets harder to see the image and you get salt creep between them and the glass. But thats just my opinion.

Nuhtty
01/30/2005, 08:13 PM
I used a black foam-rubber kitchen shelf paper. Got a 36" x 24" roll for $5.00 at home depot.

easy to cut around for overflows, etc

never has any saltcreep get in there and there wasnt a glare, either

Misfit6669
01/30/2005, 08:26 PM
I spraypainted mine and dark blue and then covered it with a gloss black. I wanted the inside of the tank to look more blue but I wanted the back/outside of the tank to be black. It take lot of thin coats but looks pretty good.
Brian

jcgso
01/30/2005, 08:31 PM
I prefer the bright blue backgrounds. It brightens the tank with the lights reflecting off it. I just tape them to the back of the tank. Of course if you have a healthy tank, the corraline will cover it up after a while.

Neurosis
01/30/2005, 08:40 PM
I've used latex paint to paint the back (make sure you paint the outside not the wetside). Latex is easier to scrape off the back than oil base paints, though latex "chips" and peels easier.

Silencer
01/30/2005, 08:49 PM
I used Black Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy on the back of my glass 55g tank. It looked very good. Due to a mistake on my part I decided to scrape and repaint the background. I used a plain old razor blade and it scraped off very easily. It was not difficult to remove at all.

magnetic1
01/30/2005, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Nuhtty
I used a black foam-rubber kitchen shelf paper. Got a 36" x 24" roll for $5.00 at home depot.

easy to cut around for overflows, etc

never has any saltcreep get in there and there wasnt a glare, either

I personally have a blue background, but I taped up the top edge so there wouldnt be any accidental salt creep or spillage inbetween.

zepfan
01/31/2005, 11:56 AM
I spray painted mine dark blue. then i covered it with brass contact paper and siliconed the edges so there wouldn't be bubbles or salt creep. the spray paint comes off fairly easy, so you've got to cover it with something to protect it. if you're worried about gettting it off later, all it takes is about 5 minutes with a razor blade.

flycut
01/31/2005, 12:10 PM
I got a mirror background and love the effect. It give more depth and looks like I got more rock than I actually do. I got it from BigAls. IMO it looks better than the black or blue that I used to have.

spe934
01/31/2005, 12:52 PM
I purchased a background that goes on like window tint. It is a deep blue in color, and because it is stuck to the glass, no salt creep. If I ever decide too, I can easily remove it by using a razor blade to lift a corner and then just peel. It was very easy to apply, just wet the glass and peel and squeegie out the bubbles. My LFS carried it and it was what they use. I will try to get the name of it if you are interested.

banga13
01/31/2005, 01:57 PM
yes I would be interested thank you. Would it be much of a pain to put it on after the tank is full and running.