PDA

View Full Version : New to Saltwater

hottoujamie
01/30/2005, 06:27 PM
Hello, My X-BF left me a tank in the garage and I am wanting to set it up as a reef tank, I have now set up the tank and have it running with a Aqua C EV-120 protein skimmer and a MagDrive 900 Pump for the return, I have yet to buy any lights, rock(I have 50LBS), they local fish store has helped me out, but they charge alot of money for comming out so thats why I looked onthe net and found this place.

1st question-should I buy sand from Home Depot? Or go Barebottom as I think its called on here(oh what do you put on the bottom of the tank if you do this?)

2nd question-I want to hang my lights from the ceiling what would be a good set up for that? I am wanting metal Halide lighting so that someday I can have corals

3rd question-Do I need a calcium reactor? or can I wait to get this

4th do I have to have a canopy?

thanks
Jamie

javajaws
01/30/2005, 10:53 PM
Hi Jamie the blonde virgin reefer,

4 - No, just be carefull of getting fish that have a tendency to jump out of the tank (wrasses, etc.)

3 - No you can wait. Even before that you can make do with kalkwater.

2 - Get some MH pendants - they look nice and you can hand them from the ceiling or from wall brackets. Reef Optix III or PFO come highly suggested. Ballast and bulb sold separately.

1 - This decision is like choosing a religion here on RC. You should decide what you want to keep in the tank first and then decide. I'm choosing barebottom myself, but that's because my tank will have high flow and will be only for SPS corals.

Oh, and welcome to RC.

- Jason

bement14
01/30/2005, 11:06 PM
Look at hellolights.com for lights. They have pendants, ballasts, bulbs, and anything else you could need.

Jounior
01/30/2005, 11:06 PM
Jaimie
First off
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/62376welcome.gif

TO REEFCENTRAL

as far as your bottom (no pun intended). It is like choseing a religon here on RC. On one hand it will reduce those nasty Nitrates initally... but some belive that it will become a problem in the long term. It does look good however. IF you are going to put sand on the bottom I would recomend that you get Agronite. You should be able to pick it up at your LFS (local fish store).

lights.......... well people have had alot of sucess with quite a few differant set ups. Some with Power Compacts. and some with Combos of differant things. It seems that if you want to keep SPS (small polyup Stoney) corals then you will probably want to go with the MH set up. It will eat up your Power Bill. They do draw alot of power. You can used T-5 lights they will hang from the ceiling as well. This is what I use.

Calcium Reactor.... YOu dont need one untill you start getting alot of Calcium needy corals. You can get by with useing Kent CB parts A & B for a while. Or Kalkwasser. Reef Success makes a good product as well that you can just add to some freash water every week or so.

Canopy.......... No you dont need one. It does look nice but like JavaJaws says if you get some fish that like to Jump you should look into it....
If you need any help with anything or you have any questions you can PM or Email me if you like....

JR

phil519
01/30/2005, 11:16 PM
On the canopy- mine is wide open on the back - so I would assume jumpers can still take the leap no? Although I guess it does cut down the number of directions jumpers can take...

There are some pics/threads on folks with BB tanks - you can do a search (if the function is working) to see other tanks.

Post your question on the lights in the lighting forum also - it never hurts on RC to get a variety of opinions. Keep in mind some folks are speaking from experience and others are just repeating what they have read in a book/seen on threads.

Just some parting suggestions: make sure you get some test kits if you haven't already. While I like my ev120 and i know it's rated for a 150 - i'm curious to see if it will be effective for you since manufacturers tend to over-state the ratings. Finally - take your time with the hobby. Whenever I go to LFS I always have to fight the temptation to purchase something especially when i'm taking up their time asking all these questions. So use RC or go around to different LFS (if possible) to get different opinions. Good luck!

drjrose
01/30/2005, 11:21 PM
1 - I like live sand for its bacteria, but many others use HD play sand as it will eventually become live sand. Perhaps a mix would be in order?
2- Good idea for lighting. It will run cooler without a hood, but the lights will sure be bright. I like a tall hood with large fans activated by a controller when the temperature hits 79.5. I picked up my lighting from http://oceanencounter.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=OE&Category_Code=L1 and http://www.aquadirect.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=13
3 - Later
4 - nope

Think about a combined refugeum-sump. They are not too expensive to DIY out of a plain 30 to 40 gallon tank. I have two.

Jounior
01/30/2005, 11:25 PM
Agreed Doc,
A Sump/Refugeum setup is a very good addtion. I am sure that you proly have thought of this considering that you have a mag 900 return.. What size sump are you considering/?? Just a few Acrilic Baffels will allow you to but some macro algea (to reduce the algea in the display tank) and or some Live rock for boilogial Filtration!!

wahshk
01/30/2005, 11:36 PM
Welcome to RC.

hottoujamie
01/30/2005, 11:50 PM
Thanks Guys you all responded quickly, well I really would like to have MH pendents for lights could you all suggest who and where to buy from. The Local Store here is like a Arm and a Leg. I was thinking I could get away with spending 600 to 400 dollars am I insane for thinking that price.

Also as for the open top I guess I will have to reaserch which fish jump and which ones dont, although murphy will play into effect.
anyone know of any pictures on RC that show a open top.

I have been looking around on the SPS pages and I love what I see that is what I want so I guess I will have to get a Calcium Reactor, read some where its cheaper inthe long run, what brands do you all suggest?

I know that It is going to take around six months before I can put SPS in to the tank but would be going barebottom on a SPS tank be better, It seems they need alot of endirect Flow? Also what about Tunzes is that how its spelled or should I use alot of Powerheads?

test kits I have ordered the packet of Salfin test kits from Marinedepot, I got the Basic packege and the calcium test kit. THey get here on tuesday(YA)

I wish the search button worked but for some reason its not so if you all find any pics of Barebottoms and open top tanks PLEASE post there links in here.

I have enjoyed reading all of these threads on here for the past two weeks and I am glad that I finnally joined up.

Oh and on other message boards that I am on we are allowed to post our own pic in the Avatar area, I always put my pic up so I guess I will place it here, so this is me guys!!! and gals I guess Im not the only girl on here.LOL Well it wont let me post a jpeg humm what to do. anyone know?

Thanks
Jamie

hottoujamie
01/30/2005, 11:57 PM
ok I placed my picture in my gallery, tomarrow I am going to take some pictures of my tank and where and how I have it set up.

Thanks again yall
Jamie

Pistonkev
01/31/2005, 12:22 AM
Hi and welcome but can I ask you what kind of Coral you plan on keeping?

drjrose
01/31/2005, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by hottoujamie
Thanks Guys you all responded quickly, well I really would like to have MH pendents for lights could you all suggest who and where to buy from.

I guess I will have to get a Calcium Reactor, read some where its cheaper inthe long run, what brands do you all suggest?

This is where I get my lighting http://oceanencounter.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=OE&Category_Code=L1 and http://www.aquadirect.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=13

Read this regarding Calcium reactors http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/chem.htm This is where I ordered my Kalk reactor http://www.barraquatic.com/kalk.php

Jounior
02/01/2005, 01:31 AM
Jamie.
I ordered almost all of my equipment from www.reefgeek.com very competitive prices and Greg is great. I would recommend that you browse around that site. He carries everything but Fish and corals. I would also be interested in what kind of Corals you are considering and if you have thought up a wish list of fish ect?

Jimsmowen
02/01/2005, 04:06 AM
****, nice pic :eek1:

starboard is a sweet as bottom and looks really really cool! have a look into that.

fishrock
02/01/2005, 06:03 AM
lookin' good:inlove:
if you go bare bottom wont corraline alga cover it after awhile?
good luck with whatever you go with:)
adam

CHorse
02/01/2005, 04:06 PM
canopy, metal halide pendants, and barebottom........oh you meant the tank. Well answer is still the same. How come none of the reef starlets around here look like this........;)