PDA

View Full Version : GSP lost color?

King-Kong
01/30/2005, 06:21 PM
about 3 weeks ago I purchased a very nice colony of GSP (yeah yeah.. weed) from the LFS. In their tank, the colony was a bright green. So far in my tank, the tips are barely a green and even under just my actinic, its not 1/2 as green as it was in their tank.

It took the colony over a week to come out after being closed up, but finally gave me full extension, and i have already noticed dozens and dozens of new polyp heads emerging from parts of the matt that did not have any (growth).

What gives? Why have my GSP's lost their color. Are they shocked? Will it return?

The tank has 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates, and just recently got its first fish after 2 months of cycling with cured rock.

My tank lighting is: 28watt PC (6500k and actinic) and 15watt NO (it had a 50/50 in it, but i replaced it with a 420nm actinic to try to green up the GSPs, but noticed that even w/ the sole actinic, there was very little coloration added).

hwyman
01/30/2005, 08:31 PM
What kind of light were they under at the store? Maybe yours isnt as bright.

King-Kong
01/30/2005, 09:28 PM
i dont know for certain, but i know they were under MH's... not sure of actinic supplement. The tank they were in was not very dark or blue.. not nearly as blue or purple/actinic as mine is when i have JUST the actinic on.

I know theyve got a mogul base Mh attached, but i dont know its temp or actinic supplements.. i dont remember.

Has anyone ever heard of the flourescent properties of these corals changing due to stress or changes in environment, and if those properties ever return?

Konadog
01/30/2005, 10:24 PM
GSP's change color depending on the light they are given. I know if mine are in the shade, they almost look pink. Give them full light and they glow green. I would guess that being closed up for a week helped change the color of them also.

King-Kong
01/30/2005, 10:39 PM
they are about 6-7" from my lights, in clear view. My most recent gallery photo gives you an idea of their positioning.

I guess i will just give them more time. I am more curious about whats causing this than resolving it (as I cant afford brand new lights).