PDA

View Full Version : new corner aquarium?

FLpatty
01/30/2005, 05:08 PM
We're thinking of switching from our old nasty rectangular 55 gal to a brand new 54 gal. "corner" aquarium. Has anyone had any experience with corner units? Would pendant halides be a good lighting choice?

Nuhtty
01/30/2005, 05:22 PM
Pendants work really well in corner setups for a few reasons:

1. It can be diffiult to find other lighting to fit
2. More support beams to hang lighting
3. Most of the area that needs the light is in the center of the tank

Corner tanks can be a bid harder to work around and clean, but is set up right look great.

mik219
01/30/2005, 07:55 PM
i got a 54 corner. It has a 250 watt mh pendant and is a mainly lps tank w/ some softies. But under the stand is tight. I got a converted wet dry that i turned into a sump /fuge, a remora and a 5 gallon auto top bucket down there and it just fits.

hope that helps
mik

FLpatty
01/31/2005, 09:31 AM
Thank you thank you! I really love the look of the corner tank... we have lots of critters that like to come out onto the "beach" from under their rocks and with the narrow 55 gal. rectangle there's not much beach to play on. I was concerned about the lighting fitting, but now I'm planning on doing pendants. I also have a converted wet/dry (not sure why the salesman insisted I needed one, as it was a nitrite factory). I've never heard of the auto top bucket but it sounds like a good idea.

Hooray for tax returns! They're the yearly gift to reefkeepers.

Neurosis
01/31/2005, 09:47 AM
You should check out Steve's (from Midwest Reef) dual 54 corner setup... that's sweet!!!

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&si=&thumb=1&page=2&sort=1&perpage=12&papass=&ppuser=4598&stype=

mik219
01/31/2005, 03:36 PM
I've never heard of the auto top bucket but it sounds like a good idea.

i mean an auto top off resevoir made out of a 5 gallon salt bucket