PDA

View Full Version : How long a cycle.....

Redhaze
01/30/2005, 05:07 PM
Hi Reefers,

How long of a cycle do you think i'll have? - 55g tank with 88 lbs of already cured Indian Ocean LR & 40 lbs of Araga-live Sand.

Im runing the skimmer and 3 Powerheads. My thinking as i have a decent amount of LR for the size tank along with the half 'Live' type sand with the Araga-live that about 2-3 weeks max as the norm seems to be anythink from 4-6 wks.

Even after 2 days theres plenty of life crawling around on the rocks havent as yet seen anything in my shallow SB.

I beleive lighting is not nessecary during the cycling process but ive been keeping my lights on for about 9 hrs a day. Ive also read that i dont need to do any water changes untill all levels have been correct for about 2 weeks?

Is it just a case of sit, test and wait or is there something else i should be doing?Anything to speed up the process?- dont want to result in using any fish (Damsels) in these conditions or chucking in any type of cocktail.

Its more comfirmation of my thinking that anything and have donre many a search on RC on this stage but any other info would be much appreciated.

Regards,

RED

:smokin:

The Punisher
01/30/2005, 05:23 PM
The best thing to do is just what you said, sit, test, and wait for all of your levels to stabalize for a couple of weeks. Once you have no ammonia or Nitrite for a couple of weeks you can assume your tank is ready for a clean up crew. Then you probably want to wait a couple of more weeks for your first fish/coral purchase and then take is slowwwwwwly from there. Good luck with the new tank and remember to be patient.

Nuhtty
01/30/2005, 05:23 PM
Red

Youre doing the right thing.

Hang back and wait. Check the ammonia levels 2x/week. Once you get a rise in the ammonia and nitrite, then check the nitrate levels.

Once the ammonia and nitrite spike, you will get a rise in your nitrate.

Then just wait for the ammonia and nitrite to come down.

Good job

Redhaze
01/30/2005, 05:42 PM
Cheers Guys,

that is just what i wanted to hear. Ive taken so long in setting coz i wanted to be right. Too many peeps in this hobby who try and jump the gun....cant do this in salt like you can in freshwater.

Am in no rush to get it looking like the fantastic reefs ive saw here on RC (YET!).

I just wish i waited to buy my tank as long as ive waited to set up. Basically LFS totally screwed me on a tank. Can only use at max 1 x 30 w actinic and 1 x 30 w White. Not into DIY so ill have to make do with this. Will try zoos, shrooms, leathers etc at the veryy top at the max.

Anyway, guys thanks for the replys its very much appreciated.

RED

The Punisher
01/30/2005, 05:49 PM
Why do you say you can only use those lights?

Redhaze
01/30/2005, 06:00 PM
Punisher,

basically buddy on the tank its the basic light fixture in the centre able to hold Two florecsent tubes. Can only seem to find 30 w max 900mm tubes?! Ive even been on the Arcadia website to see if they have that size florecsent with much bigger wattage. None of lfs or online seem to have these. Like said in one of me posts DIY is out the question. Was thinking of trying to find a canopy type thing the would connect/sit on the on the top of the tank?

Dont think for a minute ive explained this correctly????

Any thoughts mate?

The Punisher
01/30/2005, 06:08 PM
Is the light fixture attached to the tank somehow or can you remove it and just add another fixture? You should be able to find a number of fully built fixtures that you would just have to place on your tank and plug in.
Something like this maybe:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46314&item=4353130306&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Redhaze
01/30/2005, 06:20 PM
Looking at it now i probably could take out this fixture? Its basically slotted in either end to the inside of the rim of the tank. Can slide it up and down obviosuly for pitting things in. Defo something to look into at a later date. Also, ive got those two glass type plates and either to show u the level of water to go up. CAnt take these out as they look like there holding the tank together?! Wish it was open top!! HAd to have my skimmer placed more or less in the centre at the back on the tank as i couldnt move it over fully to one side sue to these plates. No room for the intake pipe and return plate! Errrrghh they totaly screwed me!

It will do for now though ive read some shrooms and leatehr would do well with no light at all?!

Thanks for the input again, this hobbyy gets more interresting by the day!