PDA

View Full Version : Blue hermits too big for their britches?

Guag
01/30/2005, 04:31 PM
I got some blue hermit crabs, starting out, that were miniscule, their shells no bigger than a quarter of an inch. When I bought them, the LFS said they were so small they couldn't hurt anything. After two months, some of these guys have doubled, even tripled in size. I have not seen them causing any problems, but now that algae is under control I'm wondering where they are going to start looking for food. I'm looking for advice on when or if to relocate them. Some posts here have said blue hermits are no trouble and others have said they are the worst, even "eco-terrorists." I think after reading a number of threads here, I'm familiar with the reasoning behind banning crabs from the tank, but I'd like to hear more from pro-hermit owners. Thanks!

tinyreefer
01/30/2005, 04:38 PM
I noticed with our hermits when there isn't much algae they eat food that falls to the bottom of the tank. I've also seen them eat at nori if it's placed near the bottom or on live rock. I haven't had any bad experience with hermits other then them stealing eachothers shells.

FLpatty
01/30/2005, 04:42 PM
We have a HUGE hermit. We call him TD (short for "Twenty Dollars" which is what my husband spent on him.) He's great. He cleaned up dead things after the hurricane. I'm afraid he's getting too big for my 55 gal. though :( He has given us hours of entertainment. Crabs are wonderful and mysterious creatures.