PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Shrimp Question I swear I searched

ilikualot
01/30/2005, 03:43 PM
I have had my tank up for a couple months and I have used this forum so much to help out. This is my first post though. I bought a pistol shrimp and goby yesterday. The LFS said to just put them in and they will find each other. So I am probably being impatient but I have not even seen the shrimp since I put him in there. It is only a 30 gallon tank so I am thinking they will find each other but does anyone know something I can do to help out?

I have two other questions:

1.What does SPS mean? I checked inthe abbreviations and it is not in there.

2.How do you stop buying stuff? Everytime I go into a store I want to buy everything even though I know I am completley stocked in my tank. Now I look at new aquariums evertime I go there. My wife would absolutley kill me!:lol:

johnpoole
01/30/2005, 04:12 PM
Small-Polyp Stony... did a google for sps+coral...great search hint
patience on the shrimp, he'll find you...and the wife needs a new ring, or a new car...then the 300 gallon might not seem like such a bad idea.. you can never stop, once your hooked, i would almost sell the house and kids to go to a 1000 gal.. be the biggest reef in a tent...

Ti
01/30/2005, 04:14 PM
1. Small polyped stony
2. I hardly ever buy stuff when I go to the store. Stuff is rarely up to par or the corals and fish just don;t get my attention. Just be more finicky.
As for the pistol, you're gonna have to give it more than a day.

Fenix
01/30/2005, 04:36 PM
I rarely saw my pistol shrimp when I had him. He moved a ton of sand around though. I have heard that they are out a lot more when they are with a goby, but I never had both at the same time.

"F" is 4 Fish
01/30/2005, 04:48 PM
whats the relation between them. is it some kind of special bond or something

ilikualot
01/30/2005, 07:11 PM
Thanks guys for your help. It is cool to be able to come hear for advice. :rollface:

RUFF
01/31/2005, 02:50 PM
Yes you can only wait and see. I intoduced my Pistol to my YWG and thought they both disapeared for days. Then I finally saw them together. The goby is always right in front of him, and warns him of me coming near tank.(I have to sneak-up on them)
Just be aware that your shrimp will molt! The first time I saw his sheddings (?) with claws and all , I thought it was the shrimp ! You will not see him for awhile after he does. good luck!

phil519
01/31/2005, 03:22 PM
ilikualot - [welcome]

Oh yes I too have to restrain myself each time i hit the LFS. There is always something new, cool-looking etc that I'd love to get. Of course when we have our "rosy-eye-glasses" on we tend to ignore the pragmatic side of us (cost, does the fish eat? etc.).

Good luck!

ilikualot
02/01/2005, 08:58 AM
It has been a few days now. I am starting to see the Goby alot more, but no pistol shrimp. Maybe the goby is warnig him when I am arriving? I will have to try and sneak up on him.

I told my wife that I will not buy anything new for 1 month. Lets hope I can do it.