PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Algae

wildcat
01/30/2005, 01:44 PM
Hello,

Dont know if this is the correct forum or not. I have had a tank set up for 1.5 years. Good coraline alge growth, good coral growth, Alk 2.9, calcium 425, nitrates ammonia and nitiries are zero or close with those test kits. Phosporoious is really low. I have recently had an outbreak of bubble algae. the first were individual bubbles and were easy to remove, however, I now have the ones that are colonies I guess you would call them. Any idea how to get rid of them?

Thanks for your help

tanker
01/30/2005, 01:59 PM
Emerald crabs (most) eat them.

R33f3r
01/30/2005, 02:15 PM
Pruning or emerald crabs. I would prune them (just don't pop them) when you do water changes.

wildcat
01/31/2005, 09:23 PM
The local fish store is ordering me some crabs, that is the solution they offered. As for manually getting them out of my tank, I find it impossible with the colony ones to not pop a few while I am trying to remove them. they are rooted in the crevases of my live rock.

graveyardworm
01/31/2005, 10:15 PM
So far the only thing thats been remotly affective at combating this plague against man for me has been to hold a siphon tube at them as you pull themso that when they pop it gats sucked up. I had a tank full they covered all rock and even started to plug my pumps finally I decided I had enough and I spent an entire pulling them out. Now that they're population is in check I've been able to hold them back with the above method. I tried emeralds and although some did eat it they were not effective, they knock stuff over, and walk all over your beutiful coral with there pointy little dagger feet, They do make a great sandwich meat however, a little pricey but good.

sbluscombe
02/01/2005, 09:56 PM
Small sandwich though LOL!

CletusKlump
02/02/2005, 05:50 PM
Scopas tang eat red and green

wildcat
02/02/2005, 08:21 PM
tangs do me no good it is only a 20 gallon tank.

johnnstacy
02/02/2005, 08:43 PM
You might do a search on bubble algae. I posted something a few days ago that was very effective. Tedious but effective. As others may mention, trying to pull them off yields about 50% success. The 50% unsuccessful release thousands more into the water. I had epedemic levels at one time and here is how I fixed it. You will need 2 things. 1. Lots of time 2. A hypodermic needle. Are you getting the picture? Poke, suck, spit. Poke, suck, spit. Emerald crabs did not cut the mustard. Especially when the valonia started spreading. So again, inject the needle. Suck the insides into the needle. Take the needle out of the water, spit the contents into the waste basket. Then go back in and pull out the carcass of what was once a bubble. Then do it all over again. It's not fun but it is effective.

graveyardworm
02/03/2005, 12:40 AM
Some good info here http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/hcj/feature/index.htm