PDA

View Full Version : HELP! cuke likes 2 poke head out of water!

255 255 255 0
01/30/2005, 12:53 PM
Erm, is it common for Black cucumbers to poke its head out of the water surface?

i bot a black cuke and place it on my sandbed hoping for it to clean the dettritus. a few minutes in the tank and the tank went straight for the front glass pane, climbed up to my algae magnets, perched and bob its head out of the water! (well, only the mouth is out).

it seems to skim the bottom of the water surface with its mouth. what is it exactly doing?

the black cuke i bot is 8 inches when stretched and 6 inches when not moving. what kind of black cuke is it? it has white spots on its body that signifies those thousands of sticky legs it has.

i am aware that it releases toxins when stressed, but how do i know if its stressed?

i feel like returning this cuke to the lfs since it seems to not live up to its task (ie. teasing sandbeds)

thanks anyone for help in advance!

EDITED:

almost forgot to mention, it excreted droppings around the size of beans, made up of what seems to be mostly fine sand. does it contain a high level of nitrite or any toxins?

Reefmedic79
01/30/2005, 01:03 PM
It's droppings are mostly just clean sand, nothing to worry about there. What are your water param? If they are ok then I wouldn't worry too much about the cuke skimming the surface. Also, How old is the tank? If there isn't much for it to eat off the sand bed it will slowly starve.

Fenix
01/30/2005, 01:25 PM
Agreed, Cucumbers eat dirty sand and poop shiny sand. How long has your tank been running? Cukes need an established tank to survive.