PDA

View Full Version : Blonde Nasos

Fliger
01/30/2005, 12:29 PM
Would a blonde naso be compatible with a regular naso? It seems like these are peaceful fish. I have a 340 tank with a Vlimingii, Duss, Kole, Yellow, regular Naso and I'm adding a Purple next week. I have a chance to get a blonde naso at a decent price They are all very peaceful towards one another, maybe because of the size of the tank.

I might add a small Sohal last, but that would be it for the tangs.

Julio
01/30/2005, 06:17 PM
yes they would, but they get really big and they will soon outgrow yoru tank.

Fliger
01/30/2005, 08:19 PM
A blonde would outgrow a 340 gallon tank? I've not heard that before since I see them in much smaller tanks.

Absint Reefer
01/30/2005, 09:24 PM
a blond and a regular naso together ok my understanding was that you could'nt put other tangs together of the same genus, body shape and coloration

CT Clownfish
01/30/2005, 09:26 PM
Same here, I have not heard they would out grow a 340 gallon tank. What I have heard is you need at least a six foot long tank or longer. I think you would be okay.

Absint Reefer
01/30/2005, 09:43 PM
they grow 20in in the wild

VolitanLioness
01/31/2005, 09:14 AM
Here is what wetweb says on them:
Naso lituratus, the Naso Tang to most aquarists; it is also known as the tricolor or lipstick tang. There are some who claim that "blonde" and "streamer" versions are different species; they're all Naso lituratus. To eighteen inches in the wild. Below, a Naso in an aquarium, he business end of a Naso in Hawai'i, and a beautiful "streamer" (male) there getting cleaned by a Cleaner Wrasse.

I see they get 18" in the wild what do they get in a large tank? 18 inches still?

Here is the link: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/naso.htm

Kaye

john rochon
01/31/2005, 01:55 PM
1 naso might be okay, 2 no way. they get to big, add a sohal on top of that! look for major problems plus a purple! sorry, IMO your heading down the wrong road. 3 tangs max minus the sohal.

Fliger
01/31/2005, 02:14 PM
Thanks guys. I'm going to stick with the one Naso, the blonde. I will not buy a Sohal. My Duss is starting to color up really nice, there is no reason to take a chance.

So the tang list will be -

- Duss (very peaceful)
- Vlamingii (very peaceful)
- Kole (peaceful)
- Blonde Naso

I will find a better home for the Yellow.

If that group of four is peaceful, down the road I might add an Achilles.

John Rochon - you feel like 5 tangs is too much in a 340? It's 3' wide so there is a lot of swimming space. I'm not ignoring your advice, just wanting to make sure. I have seen a few tang tanks with LOTS of tangs and there is a pecking order, but not serious aggression. Heck o2manyfish's tang tank has a BUNCH of tangs, probably 15+ and they all do great.

Thanks for all the advice!

Fliger
01/31/2005, 02:25 PM
Sheesh. Totally spaced on the Purple. I'll also find a better home for the Kole. Try this again ...

- Duss (very peaceful)
- Vlamingii (very peaceful)
- Purple (peaceful)
- Blonde Naso

I will find a better home for the Yellow & Kole

If that group of four is peaceful, down the road I might add an Achilles.

Thoughts? As far as tank size, it is very probably down the road that I will be doing a larger FOWLR tank.

ozadars
01/31/2005, 06:15 PM
What are you worrying about? Are you worring about fighting? Are you worrying about growing too much? Or are you worrying about the healthy growth?
I dont think they will fight so you will be fine with much more tangs in this tank.
I dont think they will outgrow too because tangs wont grow if there is not enough space to grow .
But unfortunately as I said they wont show a healthy growth and their growth will stun after some time.
I have seen LOTS of tanks with LOTS of tangs however I wouldnt say the tangs were doing great. They were just living and probably wont live as long as a tang in a bigger tank. Unfortunately a 3' wide tank is nowhere near big enough for a single 2' vlamingi.
In my opinion, a 340 gal tank is fine for two medium sized tangs (like naso, hippo, sailfin, etc) or three small tangs (yellow, kole, purple) but not more than this.

john rochon
02/01/2005, 09:01 AM
whats a DUSS???
I have a 500g tank with 1 yellow,1 hippo,1 naso and the rest are smaller fish like wrasses and a few small angels. your fish list isn't to bad as the kole stays smaller. I find that people add a tangs that'll grow big but then they end up adding tons of smaller fish before the tangs are even full grown. then you have issues as those tangs start to get big and stressed out. the vlamingi gets huge as well. just those 2 fish will fill your tank after.