PDA

View Full Version : Question about Hermits & Snails

Dr4g0nf1y
01/30/2005, 11:48 AM
I see a lot of people giving numbers of hermits and snails for their tanks. I have a 75 gallon tank with 6 hermits and 3 turbo snails. I've seen people say they have numbers like 40 hermits and the like. I'm hoping this is dependant on size. Most of the LFS around here sell rather large marine hermits and turbos. How big are these crabs you're putting in there?

Paul B
01/30/2005, 11:53 AM
The problem with snails and hermits is that as they grow the larger hermits will eat the smaller ones and all hermits will eat snails, thats where they get their shells from. Of course they will not eat the large snails.
Paul

tanker
01/30/2005, 02:10 PM
Large hermit crabs are not reef safe. What large hermits are they?? Scarlets are the safest. IMO.:)

Dr4g0nf1y
01/30/2005, 06:16 PM
I have 1 scarlet and 5 smaller red legs.

jeffb3t
01/30/2005, 07:23 PM
I would stay away from the hermits. They have done nothing but cause trouble in my tank and if I had to do it again I would have never put them in there. They have a tendency to move everything around and knock things over.

tanker
01/30/2005, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Dr4g0nf1y
I have 1 scarlet and 5 smaller red legs.

That's a good starting point, you can always get more later. I have about 2 dozen hermits in my 3 SW tanks. Mostly scarlets and a few blues. I like h-crabs better then snails (just my taste), but I do have lots of Nassarius snails too. Use to have lots of Margarita snails but the h-crabs ate most of them. Still have one left and it is BIG.

jun_celis
01/30/2005, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by jeffb3t
I would stay away from the hermits. They have done nothing but cause trouble in my tank and if I had to do it again I would have never put them in there. They have a tendency to move everything around and knock things over.

I agree with jeffb3t 100%. It also creates sandstorms a lot of times.:mad: