PDA

View Full Version : is it hair algae? also, threadlike worm?

ANNIESREEF
01/30/2005, 10:07 AM
On the bottom and backside of my lr are some hairy algae about 1/2" long. I try to keep what i can get to blowm off with turkey baster and sometimes a toothbrush. lots of brown sediment on sand also. by the way, i am into week 4 of cycling new 36 gl tank. i havent performed any test yet. any response would be greatly appreciated.
one more? at night, there is a threadlike worm that come out from my lr. it is about 4" in length and when it is introduced to light will shrink to less than a 1/2 in long. what might it be and is it safe?

scottfarcuz
01/30/2005, 11:38 AM
I would try to keep on top of some serious water changes. Try to siphon out the "sediment" and run a siphon next to your scrub brush/baster when your scrubbing the rocks. I know its a pain but the more of the crud you can get out of your tank now the less algae problems your going to have in the long run.

The worms are most likely spagetti worms, and are are good for cleaning up the tank.

Misfit6669
01/30/2005, 12:02 PM
Might be a peanut worm also. My spagetti worms didn't freak out with the light but the peanuts did.
Here's a pick of my spagetti worms, take a look at my gallery if you want to see them outside the sand.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/40521WormInSand-med.jpg
Brian

Nuhtty
01/30/2005, 01:27 PM
get as much hair algae off as you can. Even if that means taking them out and dunking them in new SW and scrubbing the hell out of them.

Not a good idea to scrub them while in the main tank. You want the algae OUT of the tank.

Do not feed the tank. Dont give the HA anything it needs to survive.

ANNIESREEF
02/01/2005, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Nuhtty
get as much hair algae off as you can. Even if that means taking them out and dunking them in new SW and scrubbing the hell out of them.

Not a good idea to scrub them while in the main tank. You want the algae OUT of the tank.

Do not feed the tank. Dont give the HA anything it needs to survive.

Thanks nuhtty. Tis done!