PDA

View Full Version : Keeping LPS under PC's

jb_46
01/30/2005, 03:19 AM
I have a 46 G tank with 135 W power compact lighting (1 65W 10K and 1 65W actinic).

I want to keep some frogspawn or hammer coral, candy cane, and some yellow leather. What kind of success would have with the lighting in my tank.

I have several places these corals can sit higher up in the tank with good flow.

Also, how close to eachother can I keep these corals because of their sweeper tentacles or toxic secretions?

Any input would be great!!

steveyoung
01/30/2005, 05:58 AM
They shouldn't be a problem with PC's.
I have all those corals in my tank under PC's. They are about 1/2 way up in the tank and they are doing great....they have all come on a long way since I put them in.

You will need to keep a good distance between the hammer and any other corals as they have longer sweepers than the others, the candy cane has none so not a lot of distance between those is required. the frogspawn will not need to be to far apart form other corals, but they still need a healthy gap.
The yellow leathers shouldn't be a problem either, I have loads of toadstool and devils finger etc. I even have them on the bottom of my tank (tank is 24 inches high)
Check out my gallery for a pic of my tank, the lights in both are PC's, however I have twice the lighting you have in the new 157g tank, but then it is a lot bigger

A best practice is to keep about 6 inches between all corals, bear in mind that they can expand a lot more once settled in your tank than they do in the LFS (mine all have)
Also you need to allow for growth.
I have to many corals in my tank and have to move them around from time to time, which is not good as it stresses them and they don't open as well for a while after moving them about.
When you find a place in your tank that the coral is happy with it is best to make sure that it will not have to be moved at a later date.

Good luck, oh and if you are just starting remember when placing the corals that you need to be able to clean the glass, so leave enough room for a mag cleaner or whatever you use to get round the front and sides without hitting your corals.